funny/odd chicks feet.. with pics.. (hopefully) Any ideas??

lacce18

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 14, 2012
Waikato, New zealand
Hi guys..
Nothing majorly bad going on here.. just very curious to find out what is wrong.. long story short, we've hatched many chicks, but 2 weeks ago we hatched 3 golden laced wyndotte chicks (all girls i believe - yay!) but two have very very deformed toes.... and one is completey fine.. (pics were taken today by the way, they're 2 weeks old today!)

Hope these pics work, satelite internet is never kind to us, lol... here is the pic of the normal girls feet:

As you can see.. they're all straight, nothing wrong... now her sister, with only a slight deformity:

See her slighty bent toes? one on the far left and one on the far right?? weird huh.. i have no idea at all what has caused this..
Now for the shocker... Here's the final girl.. with really badly deformed feet:

When this girl hatched, one toe was bent and she found it difficult to walk about (wobble more like lol) and since growing.. it's never come right :( I'm not sure whats caused it... im assuming its not from diet because they're fed the exact same thing as our other chicks (who are all fine)... maybe postioning in the egg?? what d'you guys think? and worse of all.... d'you think its hereditary?? -gulps- if so i'll keep these sweethearts for house eggs instead of breeding :D (or pets IF they're boys lol)

It doesn't seem to effect their life.. they're able to walk, stand, eat, drink, sleep.. and run!! but it's just puzzled me..

some more pics.. although i dont quite know if the internet will take it.. lol

found out that the lil fella with reallly deformed feet is actually a boy, called him Igor and the 2nd girl is Eva.... hehe i thought it was cute. We actually found out that their parents whom we got the eggs from (our neighbour has the parents and we borrowed some of her eggs lol) are brother and sister... so this is from inbreeding. doh! we cant use these guys to breed, but ive taken a shine to them, so will keep them nonetheless :D Still find it pretty intresting.

Awwww
hmm.png
I've had chicks hatch with bent toes before and corrected them with a splint. Im sure if you searched for it you could find how to make one somewhere in the forum, sorry I dont have a link. I hope he does alright.
fl.gif

Ashley

ETA: I checked the link from the reply above mine and there is a section labeled 'Chick Shoes for Twisted or Curled Toes' that would work great.

Last edited:
It could have been humidity issues too. We had one chick in a whole batch, totally unrelated parents who had toes worse than your little guy. Don't know why her feet were so bad. You could still breed them... just find another family and if they pass it on, you'll know right away. Cull the ones showing curled toes and keep the ones that don't and then watch the next generation too! Good luck!

heya, thanks for the info and the links !! i will be trying to add a chick shoe to him and his lil sis today... although their toes are hard to stretch out, and i don't want to hurt the lil fellas. It doesn't seem to hurt them for now, in fact he was trying to scratch his head with his curled feet.. lol! he didnt get the spot with with toe knuckle! We have alot of pb roosters here, a few unrelated wyndottes.. i'll try your suggestion lacy blue, it won't hurt to try :D

Crooked toes are not from in-breeding. They are a hatch issue. Your humidity was off.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom