Funny story but could this be harmful?

Jayme

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 5, 2008
Tucson, AZ
So I still have to go out and get a nice feeder for my 4 chicks but until then I have this one chick who has decided she was going to take dust baths in the food dish! It is really cute but I don’t want my other birds to get sick from her laying in there and plus she is spreading chicken mash all over the place. Does anyone have any ideas of what else I can use as a food dish until I can get to the feed store, and please let me know if this can make the other chicks sick?

Thanks a bunch
Jayme

What about putting a round rock into the center of the dish and spread the feed around the rock?? That way they'll still have access to the feed, but she won't be able to use it as a dust bath quite so easily. Don't think it'll make the others sick, but I'm sure it's not a good idea for them to be pecking at her poo.
sickbyc.gif

The learning center has a great design for a feeder using a bucket and planter base. You can adapt this idea on a smaller scale for chicks - maybe using a plastic jar and small plate? Keep the lid to keep them from diving in the top. Good luck!

The rock won't hurt their beaks? they are starting to peck really hard at their feed lately.

Can you tell I am brand new to raising chicks? Sorry if this is a stupid question

nah, they'll be leary of it at first, but will figure out it's a rock. A BIG rock that covers most of the tray except the edges so they can get to it around there. They'll figure it out. *nod nod nod*

[edit] well, big in proportion to the tray the feed is in. Not a boulder!
wink.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't think it would hurt their beaks. If they peck at a glass or plastic chick feeder I'd imagine it would be about the same.

Rodger that a rock it is-she is going to be one unhappy camper but at least it will keep them healthy
Thanks for the advice everyone

It's good for them to have something coarse to rub their beaks against - keeps them from getting overgrown - not really a problem in chicks at this point, but good to know for when they're adults.

Back
Top Bottom