Funny Story: Whack a Mole in the Brooder

Josslyn

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2023
A while ago, when I had my 9 young roosters and a hen, they figured out how to jump. Extremely high. They would jump and perch on the side of the brooder as soon as it was open, and often would climb on my back as I tried-and failed-to change their water and food. Clearly, they did not want fresh food!
I spent much of that day, hopping around with a water container, Holly, Willow, Rowan and Blossom on my back, Violet tipping over the camping chair, Chicken Nugget II crowing at me, Lavender and Daisy getting stuck in a garbage bag, Fern half-asleep, watching the whole thing like some awesome movie, and of course, Shadow conducting the whole thing from his perch on top of a table. (The brooder was in my grandpa's workshop, but most of the stuff was pushed to the side)
I ended up with me covered in water, the food tipped all over the brooder, Fern squashed by Lavender, Daisy still stuck in the garbage bag and Shadow falling off the table.
The next time, each of the roos hop onto the brooder edge, I put Rowan back in the brooder, Shadow jumps up. I put Holly back in, Chicken Nugget would jump, and so on, so on. It continued like that for a while. Put one in, another gets up, put that one in, another jumps completely out. There was always someone's toes where the lid would go, so I couldn't close it, and they just jumped around, spilling and tipping everything, crowing, squawking, falling, flapping, and, overall, taunting me.
_MG_7601.JPG Photo: Daisy and Fern, grown up a bit (I am on a computer, so I don't have many photos uploaded.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom