Funny/Stupid Question............ Where did Veggies come from?

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
Somehow i woke up this morning with that question in my head, funny cause I don't like a lot of them. It came to me that I have never passed a wild field of broccoli, carrots or the like.....
lol.png
So where did all these veggies evolve from, where do they grow wild at?

well I know that Queen Anne's Lace is called 'wild carrot', so you've probably seen fields of them growing. If you pick it (make sure it IS QAL) and nibble at the root, it tastes like a very 'gamey' carrot. I googled it though,

http://www.kidcyber.com.au/topics/fruit&veg.htm

http://www.oldandsold.com/articles12/vegetables.shtml

pretty much, everything was originally wild, and we bred the plants to increase the edible size. Some things came from India, some from Africa, some from Europe, and i am so glad we have such variety!

We have two strains of "carrot" family that grow wild on our property. We also have wild jerusalem artichoke (no clue why they are called that) also edible.

Most of what we eat are probably like dogs - a domesticated strain of something else. Most people do not recognize wild carrot when they see it. Heck, most people would not recognize a carrot plant if the orange part is not visible!!
lol.png

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Most of what we eat are probably like dogs - a domesticated strain of something else. Most people do not recognize wild carrot when they see it. Heck, most people would not recognize a carrot plant if the orange part is not visible!!
lol.png

thank goodness for domesticated strains!! and for people who don't know the carrot top!! (keeps them little buggers out of my garden, just wish I hadn't showed our 8 yr old daughter, can't keep her out of them now!)
wee.gif

They're called "Jerusalem ARTICHOKES" because they aren't actually an artichoke, but they have the flavor of an artichoke(they are actually a sunflower)...the Jerusalem part I'm not sure about, nor is Wikipedia or anyone else apparently? I just learned this the other day
lol.png
American Indians were the first to cultivate them. They grow wild in the U.S. So, anyway that's where THEY come from...most other plants were discovered by natives as well and THAT is how they come to reside on our dinner plates. Glad I don't have to just go pick random stuff and eat it, THEN wait to see if it kills me. It's already been done for me!
lol.png

One of the biggest cultural exchanges ever to happen was foods of the old and new worlds mixing. Tomatoes, potatoes, corn, chocolate, avocados, wild rice, vanilla, chili peppers and peanuts are New World foods. Almost all grains and fruit crops are from Asia and Europe.

Can you imagine Indian food without chilis or Italian without tomatoes?

All over the world people selectively bred what worked...so the original cabbage plant that has made it into broccolli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and cabbage probably formed a small rosette of edible leaves.

What I want to know is... who was the first one to be walking along and look at a big 'ol red tomato and say.... "Hmm, I think I'll try that."

Or the fool that was digging in the ground and found a potato and went, "Hmm, I wonder what this tastes like?"

Quote:
Actually tomatoes where thought to be toxic for a long time. And a lot of tubers are eaten. Like day lilies. Knowledge of edible foods has been passed down from generation to generation. I am sure that a lot of it was instinctual, or from watching animals.

Europeans thought tomatoes were toxic, the people who grew them originally did not.

I actually wonder more about the first person who looked at a raw oyster, and thought "Gee, maybe I can eat that nasty phlegm ball".
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom