FURLOUGHS

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Birch Run Farm, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    This seems to be the new slick word, telling employees they now will have x amount of days unpaid. My POB is planning to institute 10 unpaid days, meaning one less paycheck a year (we are bi-weekly).

Anyone else experiencing this trend? I see it as an additional tax on employee wages.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Our district made us the offer of taking a pay cut every check to save jobs, or lose over 100 teachers.

3. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Are those ten unpaid days OFF of work, or 10 unpaid days they're making you work?

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Theoretically they can't expect you to work if they don't pay you. Realistically, in today's economy, they know everyone is just happy to have any sort of job. [​IMG]

They are talking furloughs around here too.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Unless you are salary I don't think it would be legal to make you work unpaid, unless they do it like they did with us, have a vote, and write a contract.

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Nothing like that around here...we are looking for a coach that can teach geography, drivers ed, health, current events, you could have my Earth Sci and Life Sci (7th and 8th grade science) as well!

7. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    It's ten days off, no pay, basically instead of 26 paychecks per year there will be 25. Bad for me and I am sure a lot of others. On top of it they want to increase our medical again. It just went up another 9% in January.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by