Fussy chickens

Wormhunter

Songster
May 8, 2020
Okay so I’ve had my 7 girlie hens for 3 weeks and they are a delight , however they are fussy when it comes to additional veg/ greens, they’ve turned their noses up at sweet corn, peas, white cabbage and carrots, any ideas , I’m in the uk so some seasonal veg is very xpensive at the moment, they also won’t eat apples!

Okay so I’ve had my 7 girlie hens for 3 weeks and they are a delight , however they are fussy when it comes to additional veg/ greens, they’ve turned their noses up at sweet corn, peas, white cabbage and carrots, any ideas , I’m in the uk so some seasonal veg is very xpensive at the moment, they also won’t eat apples!
I do yogurt and fruit for my polish they love it but my welsummers don't like really anything fruity or veg but love black oil sunflower seeds

Also I wouldn't buy veggies as treats... chickens often like the scrap pieces just fine. Carrot tops and the leaves/stem off a cauliflower... my chickens will take that over the actual vegetable! And corn cobs are much more interesting to them than kernel corn, they like stripping the used cob as it drips corn milk.

Also I wouldn't buy veggies as treats... chickens often like the scrap pieces just fine. Carrot tops and the leaves/stem off a cauliflower... my chickens will take that over the actual vegetable! And corn cobs are much more interesting to them than kernel corn, they like stripping the used cob as it drips corn milk.

It’s a good point...just eat more veggies yourself and you and the flock will be healthier and happier!

I have the same problem apart from my girls are 8-9 weeks old. I was just feeding them scraps from my garden and they wont eat it. Will look at it pick it up then spit it out. They'll eat bugs but not scraps?

Most chicks don’t start experimenting with treats until they are a few months old. It’s normal for them not to be interested yet; just give them their regular chick food which is all they need. Once they start to forage, introduce fruit / veggie scraps. Some may get into it quicker than others - but make sure to offer chick grit once they start eating anything other than chick food. Treats at this age are really not good for them anyway.

There is no need to feed treats to chickens of any age. Just make sure they have access to their regular feed and water. Filling up on treats can lead to lack of protein in their diet, and treats of any kind should be less than 10% of their total food intake.

Back
Top Bottom