fuzzi's Chicken Journal

I have no experience with this. I think she means the lower part of the vent.

With the hen standing on her feet, looking at her rear, the portion of the vent at the bottom (toward feet) as opposed to the top (toward her back).

As an egg is laid, it rubs across the lower portion of the vent as it falls into the nest. Hopefully this natural action catches some of the coloring.

Does this make sense?

Maybe lipstick or a tube of cream type eyeshadow , the way it is easy to smear, might work better? Of course look for something like blue or green.

I have no experience with this. I think she means the lower part of the vent.

With the hen standing on her feet, looking at her rear, the portion of the vent at the bottom (toward feet) as opposed to the top (toward her back).

As an egg is laid, it rubs across the lower portion of the vent as it falls into the nest. Hopefully this natural action catches some of the coloring.

Does this make sense?

Maybe lipstick or a tube of cream type eyeshadow , the way it is easy to smear, might work better? Of course look for something like blue or green.
Yes, it does. I was picturing a hen, upsidedown in my lap, tail by my abdomen. That would make the area to mark the part of the vent away from me, closest to her legs .

Gathered five eggs today, including a freckled one.
IMG_20240303_145032488_HDR~2.jpg

The one in the middle at the bottom has some color on it:
IMG_20240303_145052099~2.jpg

Doesn't show as well in the photo, but it looks purple to me. That would be Rahab's egg!

I'm going to volunteer my brother, again, to assist with dyeing vents, but on the lower (leg) side! :lol:

Hope the neighbors are not watching! :gig
It was after dark...and the girls were sitting ducks, er, hens.

As I removed each hen Samuel glared at me. Tough.

After the dastardly deed was done I glanced inside the nesting boxes, and there was another egg, NUMBER SIX! First time!
IMG_20240303_191207996~2.jpg

:ya

Well, I think that the food coloring experiment has officially failed.
IMG_20240305_172300688~2.jpg

Three hens of seven were marked. Five eggs gathered means at least one of the marked hens laid an egg today.

I don't see even a spot of color on any of the eggs.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom