fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Martha is doing a great job!

Congratulations on 3! They look wonderful.
Thank you!

They all have yellow legs. I'm confused. Sussex have white legs, Dominiques have yellow legs.

The eggs supposedly came from the Sussex, had blue streaks on their shells from marking the Sussex's vents. Two of the chicks have Sussex coloring.
:he :barnie:confused:

Who's the person who understands genetics here at BYC?
:caf

I'm not 100% sure but I think...

Solid colored roo x Barred hen is a sex linked cross. Boys chicks will have a head spot and feather out barred. Girl chicks have no head spot (or a tiny neat spot) and feather in with no barring.

I also think the genes associated with yellow legs is dominate over white.

But I have seen Marans hatch with yellowish looking legs that after they were a couple weeks old were the correct slate color. So your yellow leg, chipmunk patterned chicks legs could lighten up. :confused:

Personally I think the chickens just enjoy keeping us guessing! 🤔

I'm not 100% sure but I think...

Solid colored roo x Barred hen is a sex linked cross. Boys chicks will have a head spot and feather out barred. Girl chicks have no head spot (or a tiny neat spot) and feather in with no barring.

I also think the genes associated with yellow legs is dominate over white.

But I have seen Marans hatch with yellowish looking legs that after they were a couple weeks old were the correct slate color. So your yellow leg, chipmunk patterned chicks legs could lighten up. :confused:

Personally I think the chickens just enjoy keeping us guessing! 🤔
They certainly do keep us guessing, why else would a forum about Backyard chickens be so popular?!
:gig

Thanks for the input.

When I got home from work I changed into chicken clothes and headed out to the coop. Martha came running out behind the rest of the flock, chicks following. I gave them all bits of grapes and shredded cheese. Martha took bits and offered them to her chicks. I made them a little mash from crumbles and water, which they ate.
IMG_20240410_170525614~2.jpg

While Martha was scratching about I checked the box, two eggs were still unhatched but a third egg was with them, and all were warm. Within 5 or so minutes Martha went back into the box, calling her chicks. The black one immediately followed her in, but the two chipmunk chicks wandered underneath the nests, and started peeping. She answered from the nest box and they figured out how to get back in.

I'm hoping Martha hangs on another day, as the two eggs I added will be on day 20 tomorrow. :fl

When I got home from work I changed into chicken clothes and headed out to the coop. Martha came running out behind the rest of the flock, chicks following. I gave them all bits of grapes and shredded cheese. Martha took bits and offered them to her chicks. I made them a little mash from crumbles and water, which they ate.
View attachment 3797785
While Martha was scratching about I checked the box, two eggs were still unhatched but a third egg was with them, and all were warm. Within 5 or so minutes Martha went back into the box, calling her chicks. The black one immediately followed her in, but the two chipmunk chicks wandered underneath the nests, and started peeping. She answered from the nest box and they figured out how to get back in.

I'm hoping Martha hangs on another day, as the two eggs I added will be on day 20 tomorrow. :fl
Fingers crossed for you!! Cmon Martha, you can do it!

She seems like such a sweet mama ❤️ Always lucky to have a good broody on the team!

Thank you!

They all have yellow legs. I'm confused. Sussex have white legs, Dominiques have yellow legs.

The eggs supposedly came from the Sussex, had blue streaks on their shells from marking the Sussex's vents. Two of the chicks have Sussex coloring.
:he :barnie:confused:

Who's the person who understands genetics here at BYC?
:caf
@rural mouse knows genetics. Do you want to chime in?

Maybe fuzzi can ask her question again?

@rural mouse knows genetics. Do you want to chime in?

Maybe fuzzi can ask her question again?
@rural mouse

They're all bantams.
  • Rooster is Speckled Sussex, white legs
  • Hens are Speckled Sussex (white legs) and Dominiques (yellow legs)
  • One chick is black (Dominique mother)
  • Two chicks are chipmunk colored like Sussex, but have yellow legs as if mother was Dominique
How does that work? :confused:

I was pretty sure the chipmunk chick eggs came from a Sussex hen, as I had colored the hens' vents, and the eggs had coloring on them.

Back
Top Bottom