fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
Hawks will land and work the fencing, trying to worry or herd chicks and birds to corners.
Huddling chicks pressed against wire, if the Hawk can get a hold of a chick with their beak, they will try to pull them through wire.

I like Hawks and birds in general, but I'm not a fan of how they act sometimes.
Would a hawk be able to grab through 1/2" hardware cloth?
:eek:

Would a hawk be able to grab through 1/2" hardware cloth?
:eek:

I doubt they can reach in 1/2", they may get a talon in there.
@centrarchid knows more about Hawks than I do. What I've seen with mine is Hawks will land (they can walk on the ground and under things too) and try to worry birds into a corner, especially chicks.
I've had them attempt to try to grab at chicks (and hens) behind wire, but they were unsuccessful, and I did discourage the Hawk by fussing about too.

Everything likes chicken. I think you'll be o.k. I didn't mean to worry you.

I doubt they can reach in 1/2", they may get a talon in there.
@centrarchid knows more about Hawks than I do. What I've seen with mine is Hawks will land (they can walk on the ground and under things too) and try to worry birds into a corner, especially chicks.
I've had them attempt to try to grab at chicks (and hens) behind wire, but they were unsuccessful, and I did discourage the Hawk by fussing about too.

Everything likes chicken. I think you'll be o.k. I didn't mean to worry you.
You did worry me for a moment. I'm good.
:pop

Chick scrum!!!!
IMG_20230331_165650712_HDR~2.jpg

Yes, all ten are here ..
IMG_20230331_170402609~2.jpg

What is THIS? :hmm
IMG_20230331_164314682~2.jpg

IMG_20230331_164308751~2.jpg

:gig:lau:lol:

I like that water station, where did you get it?

The metal base/mason jar things are a real pill at times, but even my adults think they are something special.
If I have chicks, all the adults think they need to sip water from that tiny thing. It's funny.
Oh and if I have a sick adult and they are not drinking well, I get out that mason jar waterer, usually they will drink from it - go figure. Maybe a comfort, a memory or the glass is mesmerizing? I really don't know.

I like that water station, where did you get it?

The metal base/mason jar things are a real pill at times, but even my adults think they are something special.
If I have chicks, all the adults think they need to sip water from that tiny thing. It's funny.
Oh and if I have a sick adult and they are not drinking well, I get out that mason jar waterer, usually they will drink from it - go figure. Maybe a comfort, a memory or the glass is mesmerizing? I really don't know.
https://foyspetsupplies.com/cage-drinker-w-stand-3-qt/

Foy's Pet Supplies, and it's on sale. That's where I got my leg rings, too.

Back
Top Bottom