fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
Sunbathing this morning...
IMG_20230416_091952904_HDR.jpg

Rearranged the coop today.

The dog house base had a 5 gallon waterer on it. While this made the waterer very stable I noticed that 💩 and water were collecting on top. 💩+💦=🦠🦠🦠.

New setup:

Five gallon waterer is now to the right of the human door, up on two bricks, leveled with a broken piece of a fence post.
IMG_20230416_095530802.jpg

Aquarium stand is to the left of the door, holding a bucket of feed but covered with 💩 boards.
1000009824.jpg

Left side:
IMG_20230416_192001572.jpg

Right side:
IMG_20230416_192009089.jpg

New look!
IMG_20230416_192026401.jpg

I put some litter on top of the dog house base, to cover up the sewage being brewed. :sick

Once the older chicks start roosting I think I'll flip the dog house base and use it as a dust bath again.

Brooder is behind the roost.

Attachments

• IMG_20230416_192026401.jpg
    IMG_20230416_192026401.jpg
    854.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Came home from work, changed into gardening clothes, and headed out to the coop. Big chicks got some grapes, then I checked out new chicks. They're still shy, and I have to get on my hands and knees to remove them from under the MHP.

I placed them in a dog crate bottom, scattered some feed and added the feeder and waterer. They scratched around for a few minutes while I took a few photos and some video. And then I noticed...pasty butt?? :eek:

IMG_20230417_165757700~2.jpg

I had a bottle of filtered water for the chicks with me and a couple clean paper towels, so I soaked a towel with water and gently stroked their butts until the pasty stuff came off. After I finished cleaning them one of them stretched, flapped her wings, and eliminated. Whew, good. Since they were a little wet I placed both of them back in the brooder, where they scuttled under the MHP.

The big chicks keep coming over to check out the little ones. I don't let them mingle.

Ooh! Ooh! More composted leaves!
IMG_20230417_173650623.jpg

Came home from work, changed into gardening clothes, and headed out to the coop. Big chicks got some grapes, then I checked out new chicks. They're still shy, and I have to get on my hands and knees to remove them from under the MHP.

I placed them in a dog crate bottom, scattered some feed and added the feeder and waterer. They scratched around for a few minutes while I took a few photos and some video. And then I noticed...pasty butt?? :eek:

View attachment 3471736

I had a bottle of filtered water for the chicks with me and a couple clean paper towels, so I soaked a towel with water and gently stroked their butts until the pasty stuff came off. After I finished cleaning them one of them stretched, flapped her wings, and eliminated. Whew, good. Since they were a little wet I placed both of them back in the brooder, where they scuttled under the MHP.

The big chicks keep coming over to check out the little ones. I don't let them mingle.

Ooh! Ooh! More composted leaves!
View attachment 3471738

When I had pasty butt in some shipped chicks it was recommended that I give them wet mash to keep them well-hydrated.

When I had a very persistent case over a couple weeks I was advised to give them a tiny dab of PLAIN, active-culture yogurt in that mash. Dab as in a half-teaspoon in a half-cup or so. :)

When I had pasty butt in some shipped chicks it was recommended that I give them wet mash to keep them well-hydrated.

When I had a very persistent case over a couple weeks I was advised to give them a tiny dab of PLAIN, active-culture yogurt in that mash. Dab as in a half-teaspoon in a half-cup or so. :)
Great, thank you.

Add water into the crumbles until it's soupy?

Not a great place to roost next to the wire like that.
You may want to move the roost or add a solid backing somehow.
I've been lying awake, thinking about them next to the wire. I got dressed, went outside and moved them to the top of the roost. I'd be angry with myself if they were hurt or worse because I wouldn't get out of bed.

They fit.
IMG_20230417_231544804.jpg

Great, thank you.

Add water into the crumbles until it's soupy?

Sort of like oatmeal. :)

Mine don't like it too wet.

I save the lids from peanut butter jars to use for the first week, then I have deeper dishes cut from the bottoms of various plastic bottles.

View attachment 3471833
They're roosting!

I'm not sure that's a good place to roost, though, next to the wire?

No, not a good place. The take some time to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom