fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
Last night (Thursday) I got a text from USPS saying the chicks would arrive on MONDAY! I freaked, sent an email to Cackle Hatchery.

Then this morning I missed a call from the main post office. I called back to confirm the chicks were there. The lady I talked to said "Yes! They're here. They're so cute. We've been playing with them..."

:eek: :eek::eek:

They opened the box???

I drove over immediately, picked up the chicks whose box was taped. By the postal worker I guess...

IMG_20230414_084830167~4.jpg

The chicks were making a lot of noise so I turned the heat on in the car and directed it towards the floor, on the box. They quieted down most of the way home.

Once we got home I opened the box and saw six chicks, one extra. I offered them warm water which they drank greedily, then took them out to the brooder and put them under the MHP. I've gone out twice since and found them cheeping noisily by the door, next to the waterer. My other chickens are curious and keep going over to the brooder.

More later...

Third time's a charm. I checked on the new chicks about noon. They were out by the brooder door again. One was pecking at the chick feed on the ground. Suddenly five of them went under the MHP on their own, and the sixth one followed about 10 seconds later.

Now I think I can relax a little.

I did call Cackle Hatchery, told them about the postal worker claiming to have "played" with the chicks. Hopefully they will be okay.

Chick pics!

"What's that peeping I'm hearing?"
IMG_20230414_173242487.jpg

I put a smaller pet carrier against the open door of the brooder, fetched the babies out one by one for a butt check, and they scratched and ate, and drank while in the playpen:
IMG_20230415_111542576.jpg

Then one of them went over to where the playpen met the brooder door and hopped over...and the rest followed!

I don't want to leave them in the playpen when I'm not there as I don't want anything to happen if the big chicks join them there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom