fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
I have good news...

I found a farm auction about 25 miles away, and the owner told me to bring the cockerels tomorrow morning!

They auction the chickens along with their container, so he suggested I bring them in cheap laundry baskets with netting on top.

I happened to have some old laundry baskets on hand.

What do you think?
View attachment 3535805

I think the best way to get them in the baskets is after dark, once they've roosted.

And the two Dominique cockerels are going, too.

That thin plastic netting might or might not be strong enough to resist a bird trying to break out. But since yours are bantams it has a better chance.

Maybe use two layers?

That thin plastic netting might or might not be strong enough to resist a bird trying to break out. But since yours are bantams it has a better chance.

Maybe use two layers?
I have extra netting. Maybe after I put them in the basket I could add another?

I'm leaving them in the baskets IN the run overnight. I don't want to take any chances.

This strong enough?

IMG_20230609_190528082~2.jpg

Last edited:
I have extra netting. Maybe after I put them in the basket I could add another?

I'm leaving them in the baskets IN the run overnight. I don't want to take any chances.

This strong enough?

View attachment 3535840

If that's what you have that's probably strong enough.

It looks quite thin and I thought it was that thin garden netting that's sold as a mild deterrent to rabbits, etc. and/or a trellis that you use for one year and throw it out. (I have some of that and found that my adult hens could bust through it when I tried to use it to divide off an area in the coop).

What if I slid each basket sideways into a large black trash bag, open on the side?

I have to transport them in the backseat of my car, was going to put them on a plastic table cloth anyway.

If that's what you have that's probably strong enough.

It looks quite thin and I thought it was that thin garden netting that's sold as a mild deterrent to rabbits, etc. and/or a trellis that you use for one year and throw it out. (I have some of that and found that my adult hens could bust through it when I tried to use it to divide off an area in the coop).
Well, they're 14 weeks old, and bantams. Maybe it'll be strong enough.

I'm heading out to the coop in a few, to pick the departing cockerels off the roosts and place them in the baskets. I'll find out in the morning if it's strong enough.

Well, they're 14 weeks old, and bantams. Maybe it'll be strong enough.

I'm heading out to the coop in a few, to pick the departing cockerels off the roosts and place them in the baskets. I'll find out in the morning if it's strong enough.

I was just out putting year bands on the keepers from the earlier hatch groups. So much easier working with them in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom