fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
Today was a beautiful day, mild, take off my jacket weather. I went outside to work on my hoop coop, but what should I do first, next?

Morning sun in winter:
IMG_20230129_095235908_HDR.jpg

I decided to tackle the back wall first. I had an idea of what I wanted, but tempered it considering my available materials and physical abilities.

I went to get a pallet, to create a structure for the nesting boxes, and discovered an aquarium stand I'd forgotten about! So I included it in my build. I put the nesting boxes on it...hmm, doable.
IMG_20230129_102906317_HDR.jpg

My dh came out, asked if there was anything he could do (he's disabled), and I asked if he could remove two stripped screws. He unscrewed them with vice-grips, yippee! Thanks sweetie :love
1000004764.jpg

I added braces in the four corners to give the frame more stability.
1000004759.jpg

Then I added a pallet to the end, screwing it to the 2x4x8'.

I decided to add a couple 2x4 supports. I attached them to the pallet with screws, then wired them to the cattle panels. I'll trim off the extra length later on.
IMG_20230129_144752752_HDR.jpg

Hardware cloth came next! We unrolled a section of the 48" tall HWC until it was longer than the 8' side. I measured 18" in, then bent the cloth to make my apron. I put in a few screws with washers to secure the HWC to the 2x4 end piece, then added a couple more screws to the pallet to hold the HWC in place. A couple zip-ties secured the HWC to the hoop on either side.

IMG_20230129_163333289~2.jpg

We cut another length of HWC, and after centering it, I zip-tied it to the top of the hoop. There was about a 4" overlap, so I added a few more screws with washers to firmly attach the HWC to the pallet.

Whew. We called it a day.
IMG_20230129_163454768_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230129_163244211.jpg

Oh, after cleaning up I went back to take photos, and slid a few firebricks under the corner where there was a gap.
IMG_20230129_164054770.jpg

Hot shower next!

Wonderful!

An aquarium stand should be nice and sturdy.

Tip -- those washers might hold, but fender washers would be more secure because if a raccoon pulls on the wire they would spread the force over more wires.

0515211639-jpg.2684649
Thanks!

I've only begun to attach the HWC, just doing enough to hold it in place until all the coop is covered. THEN it will be wire and washers attachment time! :celebrate

I think I have a bunch of those washers... 🤔

It's supposed to be very cold (for us) this weekend, so I am not going to be working on the hardware cloth covering or door to my hoop coop, my hands don't work well in 30F weather. So...I am doing more research on creating my waterer and outside brooder, which I can work on INSIDE the house.

The brooder information I'm using is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors.68067/

I have a dog crate, the electric brooder plate, and about a half bale of unused straw left over from my feral cat shelters. Hmm. 🤨🤔🧐

And I just finished an article about waterers, here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/diy-chicken-waterer-3-compared.72579/

One thing the waterer article did not mention was the Rent A Coop watering cups, for sale here: https://www.amazon.com/RentACoop-Automatic-Chicken-Waterer-Poultry/dp/B07R74M14W/ref=sr_1_40

Anyone use these?

It's supposed to be very cold (for us) this weekend, so I am not going to be working on the hardware cloth covering or door to my hoop coop, my hands don't work well in 30F weather. So...I am doing more research on creating my waterer and outside brooder, which I can work on INSIDE the house.

The brooder information I'm using is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors.68067/

I have a dog crate, the electric brooder plate, and about a half bale of unused straw left over from my feral cat shelters. Hmm. 🤨🤔🧐

And I just finished an article about waterers, here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/diy-chicken-waterer-3-compared.72579/

One thing the waterer article did not mention was the Rent A Coop watering cups, for sale here: https://www.amazon.com/RentACoop-Automatic-Chicken-Waterer-Poultry/dp/B07R74M14W/ref=sr_1_40

Anyone use these?

I have some cups DH picked up at a yard sale but have never put them to use.

I'm really happy with the horizontal nipples I use.

Still in the 30s here 🥶. I decided to only do inside projects today, so as soon as my waterer cups arrived :ya I gathered together what I would need to create my 5 gallon waterer while in the comfort of my house.

A 5 gallon bucket with tight-fitting lid:
IMG_20230204_131521084_HDR~3.jpg

The drinking cups (I ordered 4, they sent 5) that have removable inserts for cleaning. I like!
IMG_20230204_133514190~2.jpg

And my drill, a Sharpie, and a ruler.

The directions said to drill a 3/8" hole in the container 1" from the bottom. However, a review on Amazon suggested two inches to keep the cups from being possibly damaged by placing the bucket directly on the ground. Made sense to me.

I made 4 marks equidistant from each other 2" from the bottom of the bucket, used a smaller bit to create a pilot hole (didn't want to crack the bucket!) and then drilled the 3/8" holes.

It was easy to screw in the inserts and attach the wingnuts on the inside to secure the cups.

Then outside 🥶 I went to test it. Perfect!

IMG_20230204_134510035_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230204_134902648_HDR~2.jpg

It's been emptied and is upside-down in the shed, waiting until I get the chickens.

One more item off my checklist! ✍️

Attachments

• IMG_20230204_134510035_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230204_134510035_HDR.jpg
    722 KB · Views: 4
Another weekend of rain coming up, argh. I don't know when I'm going to be able to make more progress on the hoop coop. ☔

I had decided to NOT order or get chicks until I had a completed coop/run. It's frustrating to see the hatcheries earliest shipping dates now in July and August. :(

I may just have to go "local" with something less desirable, and later add birds more to my liking. Tractor Supply has just advertised Chick Days starting on February 22nd. The only bantams they've got listed so far are Silkies (NO!) and Sebrights. :confused:

Breeds I'm Interested In (all bantam):
Ameraucana
Barred Rock
Columbian Rock
Delaware
Donimique
Easter Eggers

I want friendly, calm birds that won't fret confinement in an 8'x16' run. Better than fair lay rate would be nice, too.

I like Welsummers, but I keep reading how noisy they are. Chickens are allowed where I live, but I don't want to draw attention to my flock (humans can be predators, too). Guess no Welsummers.

I have said NO to feathered-leg breeds such as Cochins, Silkies, Brahmas as it can be very wet were (we get over 48" of rain annually, on average). I also prefer the clean-legged look.

Just thinking out loud here... :hmm

Another weekend of rain coming up, argh. I don't know when I'm going to be able to make more progress on the hoop coop. ☔

I had decided to NOT order or get chicks until I had a completed coop/run. It's frustrating to see the hatcheries earliest shipping dates now in July and August. :(

I may just have to go "local" with something less desirable, and later add birds more to my liking. Tractor Supply has just advertised Chick Days starting on February 22nd. The only bantams they've got listed so far are Silkies (NO!) and Sebrights. :confused:

Breeds I'm Interested In (all bantam):
Ameraucana
Barred Rock
Columbian Rock
Delaware
Donimique
Easter Eggers

I want friendly, calm birds that won't fret confinement in an 8'x16' run. Better than fair lay rate would be nice, too.

I like Welsummers, but I keep reading how noisy they are. Chickens are allowed where I live, but I don't want to draw attention to my flock (humans can be predators, too). Guess no Welsummers.

I have said NO to feathered-leg breeds such as Cochins, Silkies, Brahmas as it can be very wet were (we get over 48" of rain annually, on average). I also prefer the clean-legged look.

Just thinking out loud here... :hmm

I really wish I had bantams to provide you with.

It's smart to not get the birds before the coop though.

Try some of the farm stores other than TSC -- they might get a better variety.

Back
Top Bottom