fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
My fender washers just were delivered, yippee!!!
:celebrate :celebrate:celebrate
IMG_20230217_163455879~2.jpg

I went out to the run just before dark, and did a dry run with a couple 2x4x8s I have and a few zip-ties. I measured for a 3' wide door in the middle of the frame.

I noticed something, the ground the coop is on is definitely on a slant:
IMG_20230217_173500954_HDR.jpg

:eek: :eek::eek:

It's much more obvious when I added the uprights:
1000005368.jpg

Considering this area drains well, I will leave it as is, but will make the door frame as plumb as I can. I am thinking of using these two boards as templates for cutting the pressure treated lumber.

See the 2" gap between the edge of the cattle panel and the frame?
1000005366.jpg

The upright door frame 2x4s will be attached inside the end part of the frame (unless a wiser head screams "Nooo!!!" at novice me). There will be a crosspiece at the top. The roll of coated fencing can fill in the rest of the wall. It will also be covered with HWC.

Thought -- are the dimensions of the end such that you could go to your local Habitate ReStore to get an old screen door so as to save having to build a door?

Start here on my build and read for several pages (not sure how many), in order to see what I did: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/post-24727971

Note: I did go back and put in a second row of staples since I was using the shorter staples on the thinner wood instead of the fence staples.

DO NOT use the little staples from a hand staplegun. :)

Thought -- are the dimensions of the end such that you could go to your local Habitate ReStore to get an old screen door so as to save having to build a door?

Start here on my build and read for several pages (not sure how many), in order to see what I did: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/post-24727971

Note: I did go back and put in a second row of staples since I was using the shorter staples on the thinner wood instead of the fence staples.

From the ground to the apex of the hoop is 75". Subtract 2" for the 2x4 base and it is just over 6'. HOWEVER, the curve of the hoop makes the dimensions of a door critical.

It's rather a moot point, though, as I will not go to Habitat for Humanity anymore, not since they moved to a bad neighborhood. The area they're in now has a high crime rate, with people getting shot during the day in the Walmart parking lot next door. I knew one of those wounded, an elderly man from our church. He did recover, thankfully.

If I build a simple door and attach it to the frame before mounting the frame I don't have to hang a door. :cool:

P.S. No little staples. I still have an almost full box of 1 1/2" poultry staples that I used to attach the cattle panels.

I meant to add a thank you, I hadn't read your build thread before. I like the idea of putting a plastic border along the wood frame, to keep the deep litter from promoting rot. I wonder if cat litter/food bags might work in a pinch.

I meant to add a thank you, I hadn't read your build thread before. I like the idea of putting a plastic border along the wood frame, to keep the deep litter from promoting rot. I wonder if cat litter/food bags might work in a pinch.

I have to say that it's not working as well as hoped.

I had to cut it out at the doors and more litter is getting kicked between the plastic and the wire than I wanted.

It's not *bad* but I don't know if it was worth it.

How I spent about six hours today...

Set up around 11:00am, temps still in the 40s.

The 1x4s I purchased to make the door are laid out, ready to be marked and cut.
IMG_20230218_112114010_HDR.jpg

I needed to cut the boards for the uprights at 65" so I could make the door width 36" and have everything fit.

Below shows me attaching the coated fencing to the 1x4s. I used a few 3/4" poultry staples to hold the fencing in place, just in case I needed to make changes.
1000005394.jpg

Then I added a short board for the width, top and bottom.
1000005393.jpg

Checking for placement. I used a couple old 2x4s as templates, then marked and cut the last PT 2x4x16' to make the door frame.
1000005395.jpg

I attached the hinges to the left door frame board then to the door while it was flat on the ground. When the left door frame upright was plumb I drilled pilot holes, then attached it to the horizontal coop frame with two long screws through the front, then one more from the back (inside of the coop).
1000005397.jpg

Then I attached the right side upright in the same manner. I measured for the top of the frame, cut, and attached.
1000005406.jpg

Door frame is plumb and level!
1000005402.jpg

Next I attached the door frame to the top of the hoop with galvanized straps, fender washers and long screws.
1000005408.jpg

1000005404.jpg

So...the door frame is level and plumb though the coop frame isn't due to the sloping ground.
But the door is not level. :barnie I removed and reattached two hinges, still not level.

I can get it closed though it's a tight fit.
1000005411.jpg

I put on a hasp to keep the door closed (I know, I did it backwards, will redo tomorrow).

I'll attach leftover 1x4 lengths behind the door as a stop and to close up the gap at the bottom of the door. Then I will start adding hardware cloth to the door and the open areas around it.

Not too shabby for my first door...

1000005410.jpg

How I spent about six hours today...

Set up around 11:00am, temps still in the 40s.

The 1x4s I purchased to make the door are laid out, ready to be marked and cut.
View attachment 3409208

I needed to cut the boards for the uprights at 65" so I could make the door width 36" and have everything fit.

Below shows me attaching the coated fencing to the 1x4s. I used a few 3/4" poultry staples to hold the fencing in place, just in case I needed to make changes.
View attachment 3409212

Then I added a short board for the width, top and bottom.
View attachment 3409214

Checking for placement. I used a couple old 2x4s as templates, then marked and cut the last PT 2x4x16' to make the door frame.
View attachment 3409217

I attached the hinges to the left door frame board then to the door while it was flat on the ground. When the left door frame upright was plumb I drilled pilot holes, then attached it to the horizontal coop frame with two long screws through the front, then one more from the back (inside of the coop).
View attachment 3409218

Then I attached the right side upright in the same manner. I measured for the top of the frame, cut, and attached.
View attachment 3409233

Door frame is plumb and level!
View attachment 3409237

Next I attached the door frame to the top of the hoop with galvanized straps, fender washers and long screws.
View attachment 3409238
View attachment 3409239

So...the door frame is level and plumb though the coop frame isn't due to the sloping ground.
But the door is not level. :barnie I removed and reattached two hinges, still not level.

I can get it closed though it's a tight fit.
View attachment 3409246

I put on a hasp to keep the door closed (I know, I did it backwards, will redo tomorrow).

I'll attach leftover 1x4 lengths behind the door as a stop and to close up the gap at the bottom of the door. Then I will start adding hardware cloth to the door and the open areas around it.

Not too shabby for my first door...

View attachment 3409253

Get a screen door adjuster set to add diagonal support and prevent sagging.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wright-Products-42-in-Turnbuckle-in-Zinc-V591/203978310

Back
Top Bottom