fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
Sunday Coop Work, started about 11am. I livestreamed a church service to keep me company.

First task was kind of a fun one: cut a piece of hardware cloth to cover the door. The HWC is only 48" and biggest piece left was 32" long. It was big enough to cover most of the door. I secured it with small screws and fender washers.

However I was still trying to figure out a solution for the gap at the bottom of the door. I knew I needed to add some sort of door stop, but I had to create one out of miscellaneous items left over from the project. I got creative, as you can see in the picture below:
IMG_20230219_133714543_HDR.jpg

All the pieces are from remaining ends of the pressure treated 1x4 lumber, plus assorted hardware I dug out.

It covers beautifully!

Here's the view from the outside with the door open:
1000005423.jpg

And with the door closed:
1000005422.jpg

The door does lie flush, though I will try adding a turnbuckle (thanks @3KillerBs !) and a couple slide bolts top and bottom. And a door handle!
1000005419.jpg

Next I added what remained of the HWC to the right and left of the door. I had to cut the wire in a few places and do some bending and molding until I got the HWC in place...and then added more fender washers and screws. I removed some screws, then after overlapped the HWC with what was already attached I reinserted them.
IMG_20230219_163721434.jpg

I had a leftover piece of HWC that was just big enough to cover the opening above the door, so I bent and manoeuvred it into place. I couldn't close the door tightly if I attached it to the front of the door frame, so I bent it backwards and attached it to the TOP of the frame. I had to move the screws once as the washers protruded enough to interfere with the door closing. I folded the HWC edges over each other, then secured it to the cattle panel frame with zip-ties. Not bad, if I do say so myself.
1000005433.jpg

I still need to finish adding more screws and fender washers along the main frame, add a couple small pieces of HWC to either side of the door (and the door!), and finish the apron, but it will have to wait for an infusion of supplies and another dry day.

IMG_20230219_171403254~2.jpg

It feels good!

Attachments

• 1000005424.jpg
    1000005424.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Make sure to get the kind that can be secured with a carabiner.

Raccoons can operate regular slide bolts.

Top and bottom is good to make it doubly hard for raccoons to open the door.
The hasp (I did fix it) will have a lock on it as well. The bolts are to keep little critter fingers from prying the door. There's not much gap.

IMG_20230219_170322408.jpg

Do you have a picture of what I should get that works with a carabiner? :hmm

The hasp (I did fix it) will have a lock on it as well. The bolts are to keep little critter fingers from prying the door. There's not much gap.

View attachment 3410228

Do you have a picture of what I should get that works with a carabiner? :hmm

No, but they're common in hardware stores since they're often used for locking sheds.

I have hasps that will take a carabiner or a lock rather than sliding bolts.

This is the brooder. The ones on the main coop are more substantial.

0523211608_hdr-jpg.2684704

No, but they're common in hardware stores since they're often used for locking sheds.

I have hasps that will take a carabiner or a lock rather than sliding bolts.

This is the brooder. The ones on the main coop are more substantial.

0523211608_hdr-jpg.2684704
Thanks for the picture.

Guess I'll stop at the hardware store one day after work this week. I couldn't find anything on Lowe's website.

Oh my, time to go into overdrive! I just got an email from the hatchery that has bantam Sussex. They have eggs hatching next week!

I have to finish the coop, get my brooder set up, buy chick feed... what else do I need to do?

:celebrate :wee:ya

YEAH!!!!!

Do you have the ability to brood in the coop? I just love brooding outdoors -- the chicks acclimate so easily and I don't have to deal with any mess in the house.

I'm sure you've seen this article, but just in case: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens.47691/

YEAH!!!!!

Do you have the ability to brood in the coop? I just love brooding outdoors -- the chicks acclimate so easily and I don't have to deal with any mess in the house.

I'm sure you've seen this article, but just in case: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens.47691/
I have, but thanks for the reminder.

I have a dog crate and a brooder plate!

I have straw.

And a small waterer (I recall the need for marbles) and a small feeder!

:celebrate :celebrate:celebrate

Back
Top Bottom