fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
I love your build! Looks like a lot of work!

It's all about risk.

It sucks having to buy more hardware cloth, but make the choice that lets you sleep at night. If it helps, one pizza from Papa Johns runs about $25+, and going out to eat for two people can be anywhere from $25-50.00+ USD. For me, the life of my chickens is worth forgoing a nice meal or a pizza. It's all about perspective and risk aversion/acceptance, and everyone's decisions may be slightly different. At a minimum, I'd get some 1/2" hardware cloth to finish the apron. Then the priority would be the area beside the door, then the door itself (the larger fencing provides some protection, and it's not at ground level). At least, that would be my assessment.

I love what you've done with your coop!
Thanks!

Regarding the cost of more HWC, I also am considering how much I am investing in those little fluffy bundles. To get my choice of bantam it is going to cost me $10 each, SR, which is more than Tractor Supply, but I'm getting WHAT I WANT. And no shipping fees, just a car ride of 40 miles one way.

The build has been a lot of work but I've enjoyed it, tremendously. Trying to figure out how to make things closer to how I envisioned is actually kind of fun. I'm proud of how I fenced the area above the door, the totally plumb and level door frame (even though the door isn't, ha!), and the seat-of-the-pants fixes I've done to make it work.

:cool: :D :ya

Wise to think about this.

In that circumstances moving the brooder on cold nights until they're a little older might be a good idea, especially for bantams.

Since you're buying from a local breeder you can probably get good advice about these specific birds there. :)
I made an executive decision, I ordered a heating pad, the one with no shut off.

If it's going to be cold I'd rather have a MHP plugged in than a brooder plate with limitations.

It's about what's best for the biddies.

I have run out of 1/2" hardware cloth on the build. The only remaining areas that I need it are:
  • Top 12" of door (over a piece of coated fencing, see photo)
  • Beside the door, both sides, above about 14"
  • Apron in front of the door side
View attachment 3411706

I hate the thought of buying a roll of HWC ($$$!) for just these areas when I have some 1/4" hardware cloth available that is probably enough to finish the job.

I understand that 1/4" HWC is probably not as strong as 1/2", but would it make a difference in these areas?

Thanks for your input.
Do you have any more welded wire fencing? You could offset double it up to cover some of those spaces.

Do you have any more welded wire fencing? You could offset double it up to cover some of those spaces.
I do have about 20' of the coated wire fencing that I used on the door, could add it to the door side but then I'd still be double-fencing it.

I'm resigned to buying another roll of HWC. I can do it, I just hate the added expense.

I do have about 20' of the coated wire fencing that I used on the door, could add it to the door side but then I'd still be double-fencing it.

I'm resigned to buying another roll of HWC. I can do it, I just hate the added expense.
It's probably the best option if you can swing it.

I like having pavers in front of my door, but they don't replace the apron but push it out a little more. I guess if you have enough pavers, you would eventually get to a point where predators would give up.

I made an executive decision, I ordered a heating pad, the one with no shut off.

If it's going to be cold I'd rather have a MHP plugged in than a brooder plate with limitations.

It's about what's best for the biddies.
I have a wire "in basket" that was originally from an office, but now sits in my bedroom.

I'm thinking I could use it (upside down) as the base for the MHP, maybe with a couple 2x4 end pieces at the front to raise it up. :pop

https://i.etsystatic.com/11820891/r/il/8b28ed/2766979892/il_300x300.2766979892_te6q.jpg

IMG_20230221_181704364.jpg

Finished the hardware cloth covering on the door just as it got dark!

I think I need to order more fender washers...

View attachment 3412227
Finished the hardware cloth covering on the door just as it got dark!

I think I need to order more fender washers...
One can never have too many fender washers! :)

And those suckers are $17 a box! For all that wood is pricier now, the hardware is second only to hardware cloth on my list of high dollar material expenses.

One can never have too many fender washers! :)

And those suckers are $17 a box! For all that wood is pricier now, the hardware is second only to hardware cloth on my list of high dollar material expenses.
Agreed!

I used up two boxes of 30 that were my dad's. I went to buy more, but Tractor Supply wanted $2.49 for 4... FOUR! Amazon has them for $14 per 100, guess I'll order more.

Back
Top Bottom