fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
Definitely getting ideas here...
IMG_20230224_174008251.jpg

@Krugerrand ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Hubby came out, offered to help. I put a small cheaper tarp across the back and covering the rough edges of the HWC across the top, THEN added the heavy duty 8'x12' tarp on top of that. Breeze comes from the north side (opposite of the woods) so we brought it farther to the ground on that side. I could feel a slight breeze across my feet while standing inside.

:thumbsup
View attachment 3414646

The back...gray tarp on top needs some sort of tie-downs, maybe bungees horizontally across from grommet to grommet?
View attachment 3414655
Our son went to Walmart, and I asked him to bring back some bungees. They'll do, for now.

IMG_20230224_174252237.jpg

Before I started assembling the brooder I decided to roll out a length of the new HWC I bought this week to make the door side apron.

But when I bent it to attach to the coop frame it SNAPPED!
:barnie:barnie:barnie

I'm not impressed with the quality of this roll.

Soooo... instead of working on the brooder I spent the rest of the afternoon piecing together an impenetrable border under the door.
IMG_20230224_165230633~2.jpg

1000005545.jpg

It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so I placed the dog crate in the middle of the coop. Once the weather clears on Sunday I will work on turning it into a brooder.
1000005557.jpg

Be sure to take a look at this post by @21hens-incharge for a great way to tarp a hoop coop/run.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-to-hang-how-to-secure.1547060/#post-26122184
They can also be purchased on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Snap-Clamp-Inch-Inches-White/dp/B0050B0N06/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AIE89CY

There is an "EZ" option that slides on and off a little bit easier, depending on what you want.

When I built my hoop run last year, I went with these and they work great. I stuck with them in my recent hoop tractor.

I'm not sure how they compare price-wise for you ... but they sure are nice from a simplicity standpoint.
I like the idea. Maybe later on I might incorporate it, but I'm getting low on funds.

Rainy/drizzly day here.

I went out during a lull in the rain to check out the coop. Can you see the rain line about a foot in front of the crate? That's below the tarp edge.
IMG_20230225_142836462.jpg

The hardware cloth roll is completely dry:
1000005572.jpg

Rain line is about a foot inside the frame, I marked it with a stick:
1000005571.jpg

NOW, we get torrential rain here, often with strong winds, so I can't say that the hoop coop will be this dry during a summer thunderstorm, but I am pleased with how dry the covered area is so far.

NOW, we get torrential rain here, often with strong winds, so I can't say that the hoop coop will be this dry during a summer thunderstorm, but I am pleased with how dry the covered area is so far.

Once they're roosting -- no longer ground-sleeping chicks -- it's not longer as big a deal for the ground to be wet in an open air style coop as long as the roost area itself is dry. :)

The rain stopped but it was still damp and chilly this morning, so I didn't get started until after noon on the brooder.

I decided to just wrap the entire dog crate with HWC, attaching with zip-ties:
IMG_20230226_153018202.jpg

When I had to stop due to darkness I was almost done, just needed to cover the door:
IMG_20230226_181052791.jpg

And the back:
IMG_20230226_181110382.jpg

I still have to add the cardboard bumper, not sure how to attach it.

I put the brooder up on blocks to get it off the damp ground. What do you think?
IMG_20230226_181215889~2.jpg

Still to do:
  • Add cardboard bumpers (to block drafts)
  • Run electric cord to coop
  • Add brooder plate
  • (Make MHP if needed)
  • Add straw
  • Add waterer and feeder
  • Buy chick food
  • Bring home chicks!
Did I forget anything? :pop

Back
Top Bottom