fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
Since they're purebreds you could compare them to the breed standard and try to keep the best specimen.

Or you could choose based on personality -- knowing that at this point personality is iffy and could change when the hormones hit.
Some of them are nice and big, some are scrawny.

Ones I'm Thinking of Keeping: (picking 2 or 3)
Purple - Mid-sized, not bossy, fairly friendly
Arby - bigger, somewhat friendly
Purple/yellow - biggest, a little bossy, saw him grab a hen by the neck this week

These will probably be the first to go:
Blue - scrawny, funny-looking eyes, backed off being pushy with me
Red - mid-sized, aloof, nondescript, a rank-and-file type, mostly brown at present
Green - mid-sized, attacked my chicks, #1 on the "to go" list
Purple/red - smallest cockerel, has been pushy, mellowed a little recently

Addendum: one of the Sussex has been trying to either crow or make adult hen noises. I've heard it twice this week.

Last edited:
Speckled Sussex

This is a large breed that has wide shoulders and a curvy but rectangular shaped body.

Their body is long and deep and their tail is held at 45 degrees to the body.

You will notice they have a single 5 pointed comb – in addition they have wattles and ear lobes. All three should be a lovely deep red color.

Their eyes are a shade between red and orange and their pointed beak is a horn color.

Finally their skin should be slightly pink and their shanks should be white.

https://www.chickensandmore.com/speckled-sussex/

:caf
The breast is straight, the body is wide and these birds overall have a wonderfully symmetrical and pleasing build.

The feathers are heavy and soft, but typically maintain a tight, neat appearance which further enhances the crisp aesthetic of the various colors and patterns.

https://thehomesteadinghippy.com/speckled-sussex/

The Sussex have a single red comb and red earlobes. These chickens have rectangular bodies, long shoulders, and a long, broad neck. With good care, they can live for eight years.

Bantam Sussex, weighing two to four pounds, are available but difficult to locate.

https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/chickens-101/sussex-chicken/

Speckled Sussex chickens have broad, flat backs and chests along white feet, legs, and skin. Their tails sit at 45-degree angles and their legs remain bare instead of growing feathers.

An interesting feature of the Speckled Sussex chicken is that, as it molts, its speckles multiply.

https://www.knowyourchickens.com/speckled-sussex-chicken/

The Speckled Sussex can be vividly described as heavy, soft feathered with the feathers being closely fitted.

https://chickenjournal.com/speckled-sussex/

As Speckled Sussex chickens get older, their adult markings will show up in full force. Their adult plumage is a deep mahogany with some feathers dipped in white and others in black. After each molt, the white tips will multiply, leading the chicken to have more speckles as it ages.

The wattles, earlobes, and combs of these chickens are all a deep red. It has a horn-colored beak, a flat, broad back, and a broad, deep chest.

https://www.heritageacresmarket.com/speckled-sussex/

At first glance, one cannot help but think that the Speckled Sussex chicken is a perfectly proportionate breed. They are characterized by a broad and long back that is followed by a tail that rests at a 45° angle. Their shanks and toes are white in color and their legs clean (meaning their legs will remain bare, rather than grow feathers).

Speckled Sussex chickens have a single comb with five well-defined pointy ends, medium-sized earlobes, and small- to medium-sized rounded wattles. These are all red in color. Keep in mind that single combs are more susceptible to frostbite so you have to make sure your Speckled Sussex chicken flock is safe and warm enough during the winter months.

https://www.ecopeanut.com/speckled-sussex/

A good quality Speckled Sussex should have a flat, board back with a deep chest. The base color of their plumage is red mahogany.

At the tips of some of the feathers are white spots with black/beetle green iridescent bars separating the spots from the mahogany. Every year when the chicken molts they will grow more feathers with white spots.

The skin of a Speckled Sussex should be white, and their feet and legs should be as well. They have a single red comb. A single comb is the most common one seen on a chicken. It is one line with several spikes along its length. Their ears and wattles are also red.

Any chicken with crooked or extra toes, a crooked beak, or other malformations doesn’t meet breed standards. Some of these malformations can impact the quality of life of the chicken by hindering its ability to eat or move around effectively.

https://cs-tf.com/speckled-sussex/

Prize-winning Speckled Sussex:
Speckled Sussex rubytu17.jpg

One site I read from described Sussex in general as "brick shaped".

I think that's helping me.

The grayish-white legs and scrawny appearance of "Blue" just bumped him down to the rehome list.

Addendum: these are characteristics for standard Speckled Sussex, can't find anything for bantams.

Last edited:
saw him grab a hen by the neck this week

This is normal mating behavior if it's not violent. When males and females are the same age there is a tendency for the males to get interested in mating earlier than the females and to harass the girls until they both mature more.

Sometimes it's necessary to separate the male until the females are at Point-of-Lay.

Worked on integration this afternoon...
IMG_20230503_172945309.jpg

I used the hardware cloth remnant and two zip-ties to make a temporary run. I didn't cut the HWC, it worked fine. I will put the Dominiques in the baby run whenever I am home and can be close by.
IMG_20230503_173608644.jpg

A couple of the Sussex did try perching on the HWC top edge, but I removed them immediately.
IMG_20230503_174028658_HDR.jpg

There was a cold wind, so after about 15 minutes when the Dominiques started to huddle together I took them back to the brooder, but put them down outside the open door so how to enter was reinforced in their bitty minds. :D

Warming up on top of the MHP...
IMG_20230503_180428553_HDR~2.jpg

The Sussex seemed to enjoy me sitting in the coop, and came over to gently peck my shoes for attention.

Purple joined me on my lap for a short visit, and talked to me. If he's working on being picked to stay he's doing a good job.
IMG_20230503_182303098~2.jpg

I spilled some feed... :gig
IMG_20230503_180531610.jpg

IMG_20230503_183234620~2.jpg

"Red", "Purple", Blondie, Arby (left to right) ⬆️

IMG_20230503_181710156~2.jpg

The girls are interested in the Dominiques...
Rita on the left, to-be-named on the right ⬆️

IMG_20230503_180705161~2.jpg

Hungry chicks!

:pop

Woo! @Somewhere_In_The_Clouds just linked me to the Sussex standard!!!
:ya :ya:ya

The Sussex is a dual purpose fowl for production of meat and eggs. Color of skin, white; color of egg shells, tinted to brown. Tendency to sit.

THE COCK​

Head - Skull of medium size. Beak short, strong, and well curved. Eyes full and bright. Comb single, of medium size, upright, evenly serrated, and fitting closely. Face smooth. Earlobes and Wattles of medium size.

Neck of medium length, with fairly full hackle.

Body broad, deep, and long ; square breast and carried well forward with long and deep breast bone ; wide shoulders; broad and flat back.

Wings carried closely.

Tail of moderate size, carried at an angle of 45 degrees.

Legs short and rather wide apart, the thighs stout and the shanks strong and free from feathers. Toes (four) straight, long, and well spread.

Carriage graceful and erect.

Plumage close.

THE HEN​

The general characteristics are similar to those of the cock, allowing for the natural sexual differences.

COLOUR​

• Beak white or horn.
  • Eyes red, except in Lights orange, and in Browns brown or red.
  • Comb, Face,
  • Wattles and Earlobes red.
  • Legs and Feet white.
  • Flesh and Skin white.

STANDARD WEIGHTS​

Cock 9 lbs (4kg) Hen 7 lbs (3.2kg) Cockerel 7 1/2 lbs (3.4kg) Pullet 6 lbs (2.8kg)

Note that there is no upper weight for a large Sussex.

Bantams to be approximately one third of the size of the large fowl.

SPECKLED SUSSEX

Plumage of the Cock - Hackles rich dark mahogany striped with black and tipped with white. Wing-bow speckled; primaries white, brown, and black. Tail sickles black with white tips. Remainder rich dark mahogany free from "Pepper" each feather tipped with a small white spot, a narrow glossy black bar dividing the white from the remainder of the feather, the three colours to show distinctly to give the desired speckled effect, and neither colour to run into the other. Undercolour slate and red with a minimum of white.

Plumage of the Hen - Flights black, brown and white. Tail black and brown with white tip. Hackle and Body rich dark mahogany, each feather speckled with a small white tip and glossy black bar, as mentioned in the cock.

Source:
http://www.openpoultrystandards.com/Sussex

Woo! @Somewhere_In_The_Clouds just linked me to the Sussex standard!!!
:ya :ya:ya

The Sussex is a dual purpose fowl for production of meat and eggs. Color of skin, white; color of egg shells, tinted to brown. Tendency to sit.

THE COCK​

Head - Skull of medium size. Beak short, strong, and well curved. Eyes full and bright. Comb single, of medium size, upright, evenly serrated, and fitting closely. Face smooth. Earlobes and Wattles of medium size.

Neck of medium length, with fairly full hackle.

Body broad, deep, and long ; square breast and carried well forward with long and deep breast bone ; wide shoulders; broad and flat back.

Wings carried closely.

Tail of moderate size, carried at an angle of 45 degrees.

Legs short and rather wide apart, the thighs stout and the shanks strong and free from feathers. Toes (four) straight, long, and well spread.

Carriage graceful and erect.

Plumage close.

THE HEN​

The general characteristics are similar to those of the cock, allowing for the natural sexual differences.

COLOUR​

• Beak white or horn.
  • Eyes red, except in Lights orange, and in Browns brown or red.
  • Comb, Face,
  • Wattles and Earlobes red.
  • Legs and Feet white.
  • Flesh and Skin white.

STANDARD WEIGHTS​

Cock 9 lbs (4kg) Hen 7 lbs (3.2kg) Cockerel 7 1/2 lbs (3.4kg) Pullet 6 lbs (2.8kg)

Note that there is no upper weight for a large Sussex.

Bantams to be approximately one third of the size of the large fowl.

SPECKLED SUSSEX

Plumage of the Cock - Hackles rich dark mahogany striped with black and tipped with white. Wing-bow speckled; primaries white, brown, and black. Tail sickles black with white tips. Remainder rich dark mahogany free from "Pepper" each feather tipped with a small white spot, a narrow glossy black bar dividing the white from the remainder of the feather, the three colours to show distinctly to give the desired speckled effect, and neither colour to run into the other. Undercolour slate and red with a minimum of white.

Plumage of the Hen - Flights black, brown and white. Tail black and brown with white tip. Hackle and Body rich dark mahogany, each feather speckled with a small white tip and glossy black bar, as mentioned in the cock.

Source:
http://www.openpoultrystandards.com/Sussex
I am glad I could help ☺️
Just bare in mind I believe that's the Australian Standard, though I am not aware of any major differences for the breed in other places.

I am glad I could help ☺️
Just bare in mind I believe that's the Australian Standard, though I am not aware of any major differences for the breed in other places.
It's a big help.

I'm not trying to breed for perfection or shows, but want to keep the cockerels that are closest to the standard. I have 7 boys, need to weed them out.

Looking good!

Just a note -- sometimes it's the "friendly" boys who turn aggressive when they get hormonal. If you've got room you might eliminate all but a couple and see how they are as the hormones hit.

I use those Australian standards for my Australorps too.

Since I'm not showing I don't need to invest in that $$$ standard book.

Would the breeder who sold you the chicks be willing to help advise you?

Back
Top Bottom