fuzzi's Chicken Journal

:goodpost:

I've raised cockerels handling them, feeding them and they were pets. I never had a problem with them.

I raised a few with much less interaction from me. A couple were fine and most rehomed by 4-6 months to free range flocks. I don't know how most of these turned out. A few were sent to my MIL for chicken pastry. Those I would not rehome.

I have one now, Amos, that is aggressive particularly to my husband. He gave me a peck on the leg one day. I picked up a nearby hoe and slammed it on a table and he ran away from me. We moved Amos to a bachelor pad because hubby was worried he'd attack me. I take care of his feed and water before I let him out of his coop.
I can't enjoy my flock and watch my back. :barnie
Unfortunately Amos' days are numbered. Shame as he is such a beautiful Blue Laced Silver Wyandotte. I want to breed him at least once. Don't know if that will happen now. 🥺

All of this to say, they are animals. You can't predict behavior. Some people will give advice to try to change bad behavior. So far I have not been able to do that.

Joel may never peck you again but he very well could get worse. Just be careful and keep an eye on him.

I'm sorry he pecked you. I do hope you and hubby have a wonderful trip. The weather is so nice now.
All of this! Also I have one that is a bitter. He goes for toes and fingers. Especially if he is upset or feels threatened. I was going to get rid of him but in the past three months he has mellowed. He doesn't aggressively try to get my toes all the time now. ( I do coop work in flip-flops most the time.)

He always telegraphs his intent as well. I trust him for the most part. He only ever kicks if I make an aggressive move in this direction. He doesn't sneak up, in fact he goes out of his way to make sure I see him trying to inch his way to get my toes. I can pick him up almost anytime. Even if hes aggregated I just need to keep my fingers out of his face.

He keeps his distance from anyone else that comes in the yard because King my head rooster will chase him if he sees it happen.

All of this! Also I have one that is a bitter. He goes for toes and fingers. Especially if he is upset or feels threatened. I was going to get rid of him but in the past three months he has mellowed. He doesn't aggressively try to get my toes all the time now. ( I do coop work in flip-flops most the time.)

He always telegraphs his intent as well. I trust him for the most part. He only ever kicks if I make an aggressive move in this direction. He doesn't sneak up, in fact he goes out of his way to make sure I see him trying to inch his way to get my toes. I can pick him up almost anytime. Even if hes aggregated I just need to keep my fingers out of his face.

He keeps his distance from anyone else that comes in the yard because King my head rooster will chase him if he sees it happen.
If I went in my coop/run in flip flops I would come back out
toe-less! Toes make them crazy! I did this once or twice. Now it's coop boots for me!

Sometimes I do think it is possible to figure out what sets them off to act aggressively. Amos doesn't want anyone to feed or be near his ladies. That doesn't work well at all. He is a huge boy and takes it too far. He can jump as high as my head.

I hope you can continue to get good results with your boy. Just be careful. Don't let him too close to your face. They can move so fast sometimes.

Thanks for all the advice.

When the Sussex were small I handled them a lot, and I have photos of Joel napping on my lap. As they approached puberty I decided I needed to be more "not chicken", though I do offer treats occasionally. Most of the time I put the tomato bits or grapes on a big plant saucer on the run floor.

I watched Joel today, and he minded his manners. He's been a good flock leader so far, tidbiting the gals and being tolerant of Samuel, who has stopped crowing. I think Sam is trying to stay "under the radar", out of Joel's way.

Joel napping on my arm... (3 weeks old)
IMG_20230322_173843715~2.jpg

And dozing on my lap (4 weeks)
IMG_20230327_181828856~2.jpg

And looking comfy on my shoulder (6 weeks)
IMG_20230409_150037959_HDR~3.jpg

No more laps!
IMG_20230909_124417613~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom