fuzzi's Chicken Journal

:ya:yesss::woot:wee
1000024519.jpg

:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl

Slackers!šŸ˜‚

Mine are coming in here and there, the weather has been warm and cold, doesn't seem to be much of a routine right now with the laying. I'll take what I get. Come spring, there should be plenty of eggs (I hope):)
Even some of my older Quail hens and almost all of my first year Quail hens have come back into lay and a couple of their little roosters have started to crow. They normally do not lay at ALL in winter, the roosters don't crow in winter either, or that's been my experience.

Please don't buy one of those A frame coops. I cannot believe the manufacturers think it is suitable for 8 - 10 hens!!! You must have a good sized run if you only have a small coop along these lines.
Best of luck with your plans and I hope you are able to predator proof your run.

Slackers!šŸ˜‚

Mine are coming in here and there, the weather has been warm and cold, doesn't seem to be much of a routine right now with the laying. I'll take what I get. Come spring, there should be plenty of eggs (I hope):)
Even some of my older Quail hens and almost all of my first year Quail hens have come back into lay and a couple of their little roosters have started to crow. They normally do not lay at ALL in winter, the roosters don't crow in winter either, or that's been my experience.
I got 4 eggs in 2 days. At least two are laying, but I suspect 3. All the Sussex gals have big red combs. The Dominiques are bigger than the Sussex, and I think they're getting close to POL again. They're chowing down when I bring them fresh greens from the garden...not frantic but very pushy. And they gobble up the oyster shell I offer daily.

Please don't buy one of those A frame coops. I cannot believe the manufacturers think it is suitable for 8 - 10 hens!!! You must have a good sized run if you only have a small coop along these lines.
Best of luck with your plans and I hope you are able to predator proof your run.
Hi! I didn't buy the A frame coop. I have my birds happily settled in a hoop coop.

This thread is a journal of sorts, describing my chicken journey. As you skim through the posts you'll get a clearer picture of the process, which continues.

Thanks for stopping by, and for your comment.

I'm getting 3-5 daily. I supply eggs to 2 other families, GS and MIL. I've been able to share a few. Definitely doesn't always happen like that so I feel blessed. I hope my Cream Legbars kick in soon.
I think one of my 8 month old Marans pullet is going broody. :barnie

She was doing the cluck, cluck, cluck and raised her hackles at the other hens yesterday. Last night she was in the nest box at closing time. Moved her to the roost. She ruffled all up and made a fuss. :gigI think she said an ugly word. I said, "No, no, let's not do this in January." I always hate to discourage a broody. :hmm

Back
Top Bottom