fuzzi's Chicken Journal

That's one of the reasons I want the hens to do the brooding, even though I enjoyed doing it myself last year. I have plenty of other tasks to do, let the gals do the chick raising this time!
:gig
I'd much rather let the broodies hatch and raise the babies. I love watching them hatch in the bator but watching a mama with the chicks is just so :love !!!

I bought a bale of straw on Friday, but am thinking of storing it elsewhere. Keeping it in the back of the hoop coop worked for a while, but the dampness/humidity of the air (NC) seems to concentrate inside the wheel barrow, causes condensation. And the location is below their nighttime roost, not optimal. Despite a shower curtain liner covering, droppings are getting mixed in with the clean straw.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to do "a little trimming". Uh, yeah. A little.

Before and after:
View attachment 3773436
View attachment 3773437
I could place one of my pallets underneath the lean-to. I think having the straw on top of some sort of wire rack or maybe a spare brooder crate on top of a pallet would provide more air flow and reduce the possibility of pest damage. And then a cover of sorts, like a shower curtain liner or cheap plastic tablecloth.
Done:
.trashed-1713216089-IMG_20240316_170751162.jpg

IMG_20240316_170733161~2.jpg

The rain held off all day, so I made the most of the mild weather, and worked on the hoop coop!

I found out something..my hands are not strong enough to attach wire. Even with needlenose pliers I could not twist wire around the hardware cloth tight enough to hold it to the coop frame.

So I used zip-ties to secure the hardware cloth to the coop frame and to other pieces of hardware cloth.
View attachment 3401540
Zippity-do-dah! :lol:

I'd like to eventually go back over today's work with something stronger, maybe hog clips/rings? 🤔

I secured the hardware cloth to the wood frame with fender washers and wood screws until I ran out of wood screws.
View attachment 3401548
Screws and more fender washers and more zip-ties are on my Saturday morning errands list. It's supposed to rain tomorrow but maybe it will hold off until later so I can start attaching the next piece of hardware cloth.
View attachment 3401551

Slow but steady...
May i ask how much hardware cloth you used. Just want to make sure I get enough to cover my panels

May i ask how much hardware cloth you used. Just want to make sure I get enough to cover my panels
I bought 2 rolls of 48"x50' 1/2" HWC due to the weight, one 100' roll would have been cheaper but I wanted to be able to handle the rolls by myself.

I did buy a small additional roll as I didn't quite have enough HWC to finish. I used some of it to secure my dog crate brooder, and still have leftover HWC for future needs.

Everything that I have read and experienced about HWC has confirmed to me that the initial expense, investment, is worth it.

MARTHA'S BROODY!!!
:wee
She slept in the nesting box the last couple nights, and didn't leave it all day Sunday. I figured she was going broody but decided to give it one more day.

When I got home from work today Martha was still in the box. She was sitting on a faux (plastic) egg, another egg, and a fairy egg. I removed the first two, and went inside to get some recent Sussex eggs. All were laid within the last week.
IMG_20240318_171221494.jpg

Two of those are definitely blue streaked, so they were laid by Sussex hens. The third has bluish spots, probably a Sussex egg. I took them outside, slid my hand under Martha and removed the fairy egg. I placed one of the Sussex eggs in front of her, and she pushed it underneath herself.

Here she is pushing number two egg underneath:

The third egg I pushed under her after a couple minutes of blank staring.

If it doesn't happen I'll just be out three eggs.

I just read @DobieLover 's article about brooding, and the recommendation to not leave the hen and eggs in the nest box due to other hens bothering the broody.

I could move the nest underneath the A-frame roost, blocking off one end with some netting or a piece of fencing. That way the chicks would be at ground level from the start.

For reference:
IMG_20240119_130302249_HDR~2.jpg

The slats on the sides are too narrow for adults to pass between.
:caf

Back
Top Bottom