fuzzi's Chicken Journal

What I saw when I opened a brand new bag of crumbles:
IMG_20240414_124703229~2.jpg

:sick

Tractor Supply cheerfully exchanged it for a fresh bag, which I did open in the store, just to be sure it wasn't spoiled as well.

LC still wanders away, crying, though I have seen "her" eat, which is wonderful. She's smaller than her hatchmate:
IMG_20240414_140935550~2.jpg

IMG_20240414_140845588~3.jpg

IMG_20240414_123407297~2.jpg

IMG_20240414_141444830~2.jpg

I gave them supervised time in the run several times today. As I have to work the next four days they'll have to deal with being confined.

It's not so bad...
IMG_20240414_171748780.jpg

And it's better than being attacked.

Candids:
IMG_20240414_123200052.jpg

IMG_20240414_191002389.jpg

IMG_20240414_140731880~2.jpg

IMG_20240414_190747766.jpg

IMG_20240414_141257349~2.jpg

After supper I went out to give the chicks some free time, and I think LC didn't cry as much. Although she got turned around and confused, she eventually figured out where her siblings were, and followed them.
:fl

LC still wanders away, crying, though I have seen "her" eat, which is wonderful. She's smaller than her hatchmate:
They are so sweet, love the videos.

I did notice LC was crying quite a bit in the first video, but not as much in the second. She's holding her own it looks like for now, just do the best you can with the vitamins and seeing that she's eating when you're around. Hopefully this too shall pass...

Yuck on the feed! Another reason I don't my feed from there anymore... I still spend lots of $$$ with them, just not on chicken feed LOL

They are so sweet, love the videos.

I did notice LC was crying quite a bit in the first video, but not as much in the second. She's holding her own it looks like for now, just do the best you can with the vitamins and seeing that she's eating when you're around. Hopefully this too shall pass...

Yuck on the feed! Another reason I don't my feed from there anymore... I still spend lots of $$$ with them, just not on chicken feed LOL
Thank you for the kind comments, AND your help with chick issues!

I'll get as much E/B in her when I get home, about 4:30pm. I didn't get the electrolyte water made, will try to do it tonight, and fill their waterer with it. Or give it in a different waterer? They have a tiny (quail?) waterer right now, the type they can't drown in, but I have a regular chick waterer and marbles I could set up.

It's an ongoing project...

After work I headed out to the coop. First thing I did was release Martha and her chicks. LC began peeping so I scooped her up and started feeding her fresh vitamin E/B solution. She swallowed it well but didn't want to be restrained...a good sign? 🧐

I tried feeding grapes to the flock but Martha brought her chicks over into the scrum. So I placed three grapes out of reach to feed her after I put away the chicks for the night.

Martha did a lot of digging in the run, and calling her chicks to eat whatever she was finding. However, I noticed that the chicks that are a week old are already leaving her side to explore on their own. And doing fine.

At one point while Martha was digging and her chicks were clustered all around her Samuel decided to assert his rights. He aggressively grabbed Martha by the neck to mate. She was screaming, and the chicks were being trampled underfoot. Normal behavior? Maybe. He's still a jerk. I came close to throttling him. However, when I have to cull I don't want it to be in anger.
:mad:

Looking back: when Joel was head roo everything was fine, Samuel minded his manners. Once Joel died Samuel started feeling his oats, started being a total jerk. I've read plenty of tales here about bad roosters who had good genes and were raised well, just one of those things.

As I sat with the flock I came to a conclusion that I can do without a rooster until one grows up.

The rest of the afternoon was uneventful. I watched Martha give herself an extended dirt bath, much to the confusion of her chicks. I enjoyed that, immensely.

I also placed electrolyte water in both chick waterers in the broody area, refilled the chick feeder, and threw a small portion of fresh straw on the ground. Once Martha led her chicks inside I tossed grape pieces in and closed the flaps before the others could rush forward. And later I picked and brought some wild strawberries for the flock, but threw a few inside the chick area. I could hear Martha's excited clucking over the manna from heaven!

After work...
IMG_20240416_173406106.jpg

When I opened up the brooder the feeder was tipped over (oh well) but both waterers were filled with litter. I took some firebrick I had lying around and tried to create something a little better, see above.

IMG_20240416_173810740~2.jpg

That's LC on the left. In this shot you can see one of her wounds as a dark spot behind her eye.

IMG_20240416_174612769~2.jpg

Warming up under Mom.

IMG_20240416_175410042~2.jpg

IMG_20240416_175532424~2.jpg

Martha is out in the run, and LC isn't crying, she's trying to eat from the feeder. I didn't get much vitamin E/B in her today, she fought me. I think she's getting stronger! :fl

IMG_20240416_172451178~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom