FYI like grandpa used to do.....

I've enjoyed reading these posts. A.J.s, maybe I identify with you a little. My parents were older when I was born, 42 and 59. I was born in 1970, but in some ways we lived like it was 50 years earlier. We had no running water, no electricity. We used the bathroom in the woods; we didn't even have the luxury of an outhouse. (I think my Mom burned the one we had down. That's the story. ha:D) Our family of 4 lived in a 1 bedroom trailer. I can remember sleeping in a tent outside one summer. I can't say we didn't know we were poor, like those from the depression, because no one I knew lived like we did. How could I bring friends home to my house and tell them, "You have to go out to the woods to pee." I was so backward and shy at school I just kept my mouth shut all the time. But, it wasn't all bad. I loved living in the woods and I spent my time drawing and writing and taking care of the chickens instead of watching TV. I don't think I would change the way I grew up. It did help me appreciate the things I have now.
I only wish I had been able to change my Mom's situation sooner. We got her electricity after I married, but we didn't have enough money to help her move or get a new place to live. She died while we were still struggling to get established. Daddy was in the nursing home.

There's a woman about 2 miles away that (in the summer) sells 5 dozen eggs a day at $4 a dozen! I'm planning to sell some eggs if we end up with too many. Right now I've got 11 chicks, but we're talking about getting about 12 or so more.

A.J.'s :

I was a child of divorce even in that age.. back in the olden days.. it was a time of poverty in my life. more on my mothers side than on my dadss.. he died in korea in a pow camp.. he was a medic and did much for the wounded........

oh im ashamed of the errors i made in that ... i can do better and i can spell and i can type and i can write better than that.. i dont know where my mind went i guess it had ato fashion itself to the subject thats all i can figure.. seriously.. ajs

Your story made me cry. Not for the poverty or sadness, but the love that she had for you and obviously you have for her to this day. To remember something so vividly, to not be ashamed to share it.

I hate that anyone would have to live like this, but, she had love in her heart, and passed on that love to you, which is more important that anything you can buy for yourself or someone else.

It sounds like you had a hard childhood and for that you have my thoughts and hugs, but it also sounds like you were a very lucky child, to be kissed on the toes and loved. I think thats what got me. Was the small gestures that we take for granted as children, and miss when the givers are gone.

My grandmother used to kiss my palms. I caught myself kissing my sons palms the other day. I dont know why I did it, and didnt even remember it being done, until right then. It just hit me and I could see myself in her lap, her kissing my palms. I never did it with my older children. I dont know why. and I dont know why I did it that day. It was just natural.​

Quote:
Yes, I would read it.

And I would allow my children on the internet to read it. I am trying to instil in them a work ethic. Its very hard. Not that they dont have chores, But they whine and complain when we pick peas and work in the gardens. I am trying to learn these things, before the old folks are gone. If I dont learn it and pass it on, who will?

Its funny, My grandparents worked hard to give their kids everything because they grew up with nothing. They in turn were and are selfish and basicly worthless people, So, my grandparents had to help raise me. there were tough times, but never hungry times. But I am trying to get back to the simplier part of it. Learn to be self sufficiant. Teach my kids that there are more important things than video games and such.

I was born in the 1940's also and remember how back then the chickens free ranged and was thrown a bucket of grain around. I don't remember any special chicken feed.

I love to read and hear stories from the past.

Luckily, my parents adopted 3 children and worked hard to make sure we got what we needed, not what we wanted. If we wanted something, we had to work for it. I am trying to instill this into my 2 sons lives as well.

My mom grew up in a small town in Ohio, on a farm and I love to hear her stories. She came from a family with 6 kids who worked hard to make what little money they got. My grandparents eventually built a new home on their land, but the old house was still standing. I would love to go in that old house and imagine what it was like to live before tv, video games, etc.

My dad also grew up in a small town in Ohio and he tells me stories about the depression and how my grandma would reuse everything. As a matter of fact, she was like that until she was put in a nursing home because of Alzheimer's.

My parents grew up in the depression in two different towns and what both families have in common is their faith in God. Both sets of my grandparents were extremely thankful for all they had and when they told of their stories, they were sure to include all of their blessings in what seemed to be the worst of times. They were very humble.

I don't know that what the future of this country is right now, but maybe we need to go back to the basics to appreciate what we do have, and work harder to keep the things we think we need. Or maybe just get rid of the extras, like satellite radio, cell phones, etc. and concentrate on keeping a roof over our heads, and food in our tummies, and putting our faith in God. Maybe this will help teach our spoiled children (including mine) to appreciate what they have, and work hard for what they want. Just my thoughts.

And AJ, I love to read your stories and everyone else who posted on this thread. Keep them coming!!

AJ, write a book please. Your stories are real and appreciated, and you have an honest way with words. If you haven't already, read "The Education of Little Tree", by Forest Carter. Your autobiography would be a contribution to our lives equal to his.

Quote:
I found you and I am your first follower!! I cant wait!!
smile.png

AJ, yes please, write them all down! I would love to hear more. please!!!

Back
Top Bottom