galvanized feeders vs. plastic feeder

I prefer the plastic feeders & waterers, because about once a month, I can pop them right into the dishwasher to disinfect them. I'm sure that over time, they may crack and become brittle; but so far, so good (Oldest is over a year). I like knowing they are disinfected after running them through the dishwasher.
smile.png

Just a thought; where I live it freezes at night, at least, and most often for most of the day, for months at a time and I do not heat. In addition to the the metal waterer, I have two durable old fashioned rubber horse bowls. In the morning, you kick em over with your barn boots, and refill em, or most days just crack the ice on top with a stick.

I have a friend who's raised chickens for forty years and she swears by bringing her birds warm water every morning- says it highly us the egg count in winter. I tried it and, though it was far from a scientifically controlled experiment, I got an awful lot of eggs, straight through the coldest months. But I found carrying warm water out to work just as well as getting a warmer, on her advice. I'm going out there anyway, to let everybody out and say good morning! Stops me from beeing a big woos on cold days!

P.S. May I say that kicking the rubber bowls is often the most fun part of my day. My teens like it too.

Love.

Hi there.....I use a metal, hanging feeder and a plastic hanging waterer in the coop. I use ACV so plastic waterer only. But out in their run we installed a small, metal self-waterer, the kind with a float that is hooked up to a hose.
Have a great day!
yippiechickie.gif

Wynette, I don't have a dishwasher so that wouldn't really work for me. I would rather know I'm scrubbing it out extra good anyways.

Horsegirl, being called a tree hugger isn't a bad thing. I get called it all the darn time haha

I get called tree hugger all the time, as a young vegan who rides her bike about 90% of the time.

I think you guys convinced me to go with the metal thank you!

I think you are right about the plastic bad metal good, I try to use as little plastic in the rest of my life I don't know why that didn't cross my mind.

Quote:
I tried the kicking over th horse bucket last winter - that lasted about a week for us. Too cold where I live, pretty soon that ice was 12 inches thick and it didn't melt again until April!
big_smile.png
So I got a plastic safe floating water heater and just bought another big bucket. Worked like a charm. I don't use poultry waterers anymore, I just use small buckets. I am dreading winter though - I will probably have to drag the hose out every morning and then take it back in the house when I'm done. At least we have a pump out by the barn - my friend has to hook his 100 ft hose up to his house spicket. Sure wish we had heat out there...

But I am going to buy a few of those big hanging feeders the next time I go in to the Big R.

Back
Top Bottom