Galvanized waterer leaking?

RESQME49

Songster
6 Years
Jan 21, 2018
Olympia Washington
I purchased a 5 gallon galvanized waterer from TSC for $40 and no matter how much I level it out, it over fills the trough and essentially leaks at least half out and remains filled to the VERY top until its all gone. I highly doubt my chickens went through 5 gallons in 3-4 days. I have a 2 gallon water that does not do this. Any remedies? Is this a normal thing for these?

Are you turning it to lock it into place after filling? I will also pull up on it to make sure it's turned which kinda vapor locks it.

If it's newer I'd take it back and get a new one. and make a 5 gal horizontal nipple waterer. The galvanized might be defective at the seam and not be able to create the vacuum.

It depends on having a vacuum seal to hold water; if it's new and leaking, return it.
The directions say to not carry it by the handle, and the full five gallon waterer handle can't manage the weight without tearing at the weld and leaking. You might be able to salvage it with silicone caulk at the seam (base of the handle), if that's what's wrong.
I use the two or three gallon galvanized waterers instead, because I can manage them better, and those little handles can manage the weight without leaking.
Mary

Horizontal nipples can be found on Amazon, clean water 24/7. I use gamma lids on my waterers and no waste feeders, they spin on and off for easy access.

20170422_105015.jpg

I made this one for my brooder, my chicks use this when their about 2 - 3 weeks.
20170423_140822.jpg

Horizontal nipples are definitely the way to go. They work great in heated winter waterers or normal buckets or containers like blackdog043 posted images of for summer months.
Vertical nipples are ok for summer months but they can be messy as they waste more water than horizontal ones.

I use a single 5 gallon with 4 horizontal nipples. Two nips for my 7 chickens and the other two for 14 quail. Clean water 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom