Galvanized waterer - not good?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by redwa, Sep 25, 2007.

1. redwa

redwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2007
    I have a plastic waterer outside for my girls and a galvanized one in the coop. They seem to prefer the plastic one. I just read that the galvanized ones can leach out metals and also rust, effecting the taste of the water as well as making it toxic! Is this true? I also put ACV in their water which is probably caroding the metal. Oy Vay!!! Suggestions?

2. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    You can't put ACV or any medications in a metal waterer. It will ruin it.
    Sorry...

I've not had good luck with the metal ones. I think all mine came with child-proof covers....[​IMG]

Jean

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I didn't hesitate when I stumbled across some plastic ones in the feed store before I ever had to medicate my birds. I just didn't like the metal. It got hot faster in the summer and froze first in the winter.

4. ukchickengirl

ukchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

plus the fact that (esp in the uk) they are sooooooo expensive and i like to replace mine so its nicer on the pocket in the long run too![​IMG]

H x

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I only use galvanized waterers. I have 2 small plastic waters should I need to add meds. The larger plastic ones have never been anything but trouble in the past. I have never had a galvanized waterer rust either. I wash and scrub them every 2 - 3 days. They still look like new and work like new.

I also feel safer in the deep freeze of winter when I use a warmer/heater to keep the waterers from freezing. Less chance a metal waterer will catch on fire should something drastically bizarre happen in the hen house.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    As Jean said, you shouldn't put ACV in a metal waterer. The acid corrodes the metal. If you want to use ACV, put it in a plastic waterer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by