Galvanized waterer rusting-problem??

Lesa

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2008
Upstate NY
I use the nice plastic waterers in the warm months- but I need the galvanized ones for the heater in the winter. The first one I bought lasted a couple years, I saw that it was getting rusty. I bought a replacement. This one got rusty in a matter of months. If I keep it washed out, is there a problem with it being rusty?? Don't want to hurt my birds- but getting tired of spending money on these things that don't last....

The guy at the feed store here told me that if I was going to use ACV every day in their water then I should use a plastic waterer. Do you put ACV in the water? It will damage metal. I do use a metal feed dispenser though...

That is the reason my husband won't let me buy a galvanized water. He says no matter what it will rust, it's just a matter of time.

A lot depends on you water, if it is on the acidic side it will rust the waterer a bit faster. Mine all rust a little in time, don't let it bother me and it doesn't seem to bother the chickens. Once it rusts through I toss it and buy new--once every 10 years or so.

Thanks, woodmort! That is what I was hoping, but it does my heart good to hear someone else say it!

Back
Top Bottom