Galvanized waterer ?

crooked stripe

Songster
12 Years
Jan 14, 2008
N.E Ohio- Suffield
I am not looking forward to the winter ice problems. Last year I purchased a heated base for a metal waterer. I had a 3 gallon double wall waterer that most all have seen. The name I can't remember. My problem is my coop sets on the ground and with the frost it never stays level. It heaves all over the place. The old waterer filled to the brim and was impossible to keep it from leaking. Any solutions to fixing my problem, or does someone know of a waterer that doesn't fill to the brim? I have had 3 of the Farm Innovation plastic heated waterers and they all have leaked inside the base filling all the energized wires full of water. Kill hazard, along with a fire hazard. All input would be appreciated. John

My galvanized waterer doesn't fill up all the way to the top. (I think it's a 2 gallon one. I put it on top of 2 step stones to keep it level!! Cause if it's not the water will fill all the way to the top on one side!!

Missi

I have an old coop with very uneven floors also, so the only solution we have found that really works for these is to build a small platform on the wall on which to place the water. This way your waterer is always level, always stable and up out of the floor debris as well.

I guess I should have mentioned the only way to keep a waterer and heated base level with a moving coop is by hanging it in a corner of the coop with a single wire. In the corner is to keep the birds from bumping it and making it swing, thus spilling the water. The only 2 galvanized ones I owned filled to the brim. I need a solution. Thanks for the replies.

Have you tried purchasing a new one and trying it? They reason I suggest that is even the 2 white & red plastic one I have (ones a 5 gallon and ones a 1 or 2 gallon they don't fill all the way to the brim either! Anyway just a suggestion.. Good luck!

Missi

Could you do away with the heated base and maybe hang some type of lamp/light to shine right on the waterer? Not sure if that would work or not. The guy at the farm supply store suggested I try that, but I think I'm going to get a heated dog bowl from Wal Mart. That probably wouldn't work with your coop since you have to move it.

I probably will buy a new one and if it doesn't work I'll take it back. I bought 2 -3 gallon plastic waterers new at a farm auction this spring. They work great but there is no name on them and I can't find this kind anywhere. They look the same as the Farm Innovations waterer only they have a deep trough at the base and they only fill 1/2 full of water. I would buy 10 if I could find them. Frozen water is the only thing about chickens I dread and thank God that only happens 4 months of the year. Thanks again for the input. John

If you do decide to buy a new one DO NOT buy the red and white one with the heated base for about 40$. You have to fill it from the bottom, the top pops off when you turn it over, it fills ALL the way to the brim and spills. NOT good.

Can you hang your metal waterer? I don't hang mine because the handle is straight and you cant get the thing level without some engineering (for me this means using hay string for so many issues
lol.png
), so I just leveled out a place on the ground and set it on a cinder block. I plan on putting an extension cord and light bulb under it this winter. I wonder if the ground will heave here...we do occassionally have some pretty cold weather, but it usually doesn't last more than a couple of weeks. I guess I will find out this year.
Oh someone had plans and pictures of a water heater you could make from a Christmas cookie tin and a small light bulb. You cut a hole for the socket and put it through into the inside of the tin. Put your light bulb inside, then put the top down on the cookie tin. Plug into the extension thing that only comes on at preset temperature, set your waterer on top of the christmas tin and you're set! At least I hope it works that way, cause that is how I am handling the cold weather this year.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have had so many trying to find one that not only works but is user friendly. The one you describe is a piece of junk. That is why I am trying to make the galvanized type work for the winter months. Just pick up the top and fill. My girls like to dig in the chips thus throwing chips in the water. I tried the heated dog bowl and took an old waterer top, cut holes around the perimeter (for the chickens to insert their heads) and placed it over the bowl to keep out the chips. This worked great till the roo found it was an opportune time to have a little fun with the hens while they had their heads stuck in the slots. This caused the hens to leap forward and knock off the cover and really made a mess out of things. I will keep trying because I have the addiction. I have read a lot of good reviews on the cookie tin heater. j

Back
Top Bottom