Galvanized waterers

halo

Got The Blues
14 Years
Nov 22, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I got some el cheapo galvanized waterers from the feed store that, 6 months later, are rusting. I went to look for plastic waterers, and they are just so cumbersome to use. Id really like to find galvanized waterers that dont rust. Is there such a thing anywhere?

I don't know if there is such a thing. Are you using Apple Cidar Vinager? If so, you really need the plastic as they eat the galvanized.

Good luck in your search!

No, Im not using vinegar. I got the Little Giant waterers and they are just junk. I dont mind paying for good ones, if they are GOOD.

I have seen post like this before and quit frankly I don't get it. I have 4= 5 gal galvanized waterers I think they too are the EL Cheapo ones from China and the feed store. But for over 2 yrs they are still going strong with no sign of rust, albeight they are not quite as shinny as when new. I don't think I am not doing anything different than you guy's and it can't be just luck, so whats up. I do not use vinegar, but they do get rinsed out every day and are kept in the coop. So what gives I have often wondered why i have seen so many coplaints just like yours.

AL
P.S.
Now if I thought that I may have a problem in the future with these waterers I would just put on a thin coat of polyurethane clear spray on them that would really prolong thier life.

I also think I have a cheapo waterer, and mine is just fine. I have only had it 6 months though. Still, no sign of rust at all. I wonder if it is the pH of your water. The water here is very alkaline.

Quote:
Good point about the water, our water is harder than Chinese Arithmatic, maybe that could be the answer to our long lasting rust free waterers. get hard water hehehe.

AL

I looked at the plastic ones, and I dont mind getting them, but they look very cumbersome. I looked at the ones that you take the base off, turn upside down and fill. I practised with one in TSC, and couldnt get the base back on once it was upside down, since you cant see what you're doing when its upside down. Ive had my galvanized about a year, and its rusting in the pan where the water is. I have well water which is rather hard, too. Has anyone used the galvanized waterers from McMurray?

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
I have a good friend that uses that analogy and it always cracks me up.

I've used a galvanized waterer for about a year - no sign of rust at all. But then, we have well water, and it's as hard as al6517 describes. Does make ya wonder if the PH of the water has something to do with it.

Penny

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom