galvanized waterers

spottedtail,

frow.gif

We have our waterer elevated (it sits atop two stepping stones) but I think we need to raise it some more. I'm getting a little weary of finding wood shavings and hay in it all the time. The chickens are new to me and I'm still learning (lots!).

Sounds like your invention prevents all the things that dirty their water.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I use automatic waterers attached to hoses or pipes. Most are the plastic kind made for dogs. For the geese I use the larger plastic ones made for horses. In the duck pen, I use the galvanized ones that are made for poultry. They are a low metal pan (like an oil pan) with a float valve. They have an open wire cover that prevents the birds from getting in the water.

Oh, here's a picture:
goodduckwaterer_1.jpg

I have had a terrible time with our metal waterer too. Half of it flows out as you put the top on, and it's always dirty and a pain to refill. I always get all wet refilling it, which is horrible in the winter!

I use 64 ounce rabbit waterers. They can be hung so that the bottle is on the outside of the fence or run, and then you can walk up and grab it to refill easily. My chickens love them. During the winter they freeze though and you can't get the ice out, so I set out a couple big dog dishes, the kind that can't tip over when a chicken perches on it. They enjoy drinking out of those as well. During the summer I leave a couple of those dog dishes throughout the yard in addition to the waterers hung on the fence so that they have easy access to water everywhere. (It gets really hot and humid in KY!)

Wow, I have plastic ones, but the lids have to be screwed on real tight, then it's hard to get them off. I got the galvanized so I could add ice to the water.
I think I will be going to the open dish, at least I can put ice in it. What a pain!

I've got a metal waterer that has some rust to it and hated using it. Its a royal pain in the tush trying to get it cleaned out.

Not like my old waterer which it didnt rust at all and it was a snap to clean.

Someone said the ones from China is not holding up like it should be, so it may be the case! bought mine from Farm and Fleet.

Now lets find some waterers that are made in USA.

Mine is metal, and it's the hanging type.

It has a little groove and a slot in the top part that fits into the peg thing on the bottom part.

Then, you twist the top part until it slides all of the way to the end of the slot. This engages a wedge that allows water to fill to a certain level as it is used.

Or, at least I *think* that's how it works...what do I know...
lol.png

Not sure if your water can is the same or not. Just thought I'd add my 2cents. You never know...
roll.png

I also just have a little plastic tub ($1.99 at the grocery store), the kind that you could do dishes in, that I keep in the run. Not too big or too deep. But, just right. I've been changing it every few days as it get dirty. I think the girls have been taking a dip when I'm not looking!

If I turn the hose on, they all come running...they LOVE it!

Maybe add another water source like this cheapo one. So far, it's working...

Good luck!

I got 2 basins from work that are like the ones you wash dishes in. I had them last year, and it seems that the girls liike that better, too. I guess I'm back to that because I can't have them having no water in the Florida summer. At least I can put an ice block in there.

I use a automatic waterier I got at a yard sale. I've never seen one like it. I know it's old because the red color has faded to pink. The weight of the water cuts the water flow off from the bucket I attached to it. When the chicken's drink enough for the valve at the top to open the water is refilled to the right level. It works great.

Quote:
I sure like that. You should find a way to build those and market them.
big_smile.png

I'm having all the issues noted above with my waterers. I've tried the large galvanized one and the one with a gasket ring in the lid. I find the small bell type plastic waterers work the best without leaking, but I'm looking for something to hold a lot of water as my main flock is now at 12 full-grown chickens.

Wish I could think smart enough to build one.

Back
Top Bottom