Gamble Quails WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

Keep trying tomorrow. They should start to get hungry and may come out for food and water. Put out their most favorite thing to eat...mealworms, greens, seeds, what ever get them interested in coming close to a cage.

AS CRAZY AS your idea is believe it or not, I saw the boy and a girl walking around the crate this morning. They didnt go in it but they were walking around it. The only problem I'm having now, my call ducks and Free ranging Chickens are enjoying the trap. LOL Plus some Robins and Blue jays. Everyone is loving this trap. LOL

I wish I could just find a female. However, I did find some one selling Chicks. Would putting some babies in with him be a good idea? Or perhaps I can get the chicks, leave the Coturnix in there until the chicks are old enough?

What are your thoughts?

No, don't put babies in with him as him being as stressed as he is, he might hurt them. I have had success with mixing 6 week olds with single adult quail before. The adult is not threatened by 6 week olds, and they appear to be old enough that the adult doesn't bother them. Of course always watch the situation for a week or two very closely to make sure nobody gets hurt.

But you could get chicks now and in 6 weeks they would be ready for mixing. You could always try another Gambel hatch. :)

But for now, you could leave the female Coturnix in with him and then later add the 6 week olds.

The first thing I did upon awaking this morning was check this post to see if you had caught any. I was sad that you had not. But you never know. I hope you are able to catch somebody out there, other than your ducks and chickens. LOL

LOL, I'm trying like a son of a gun. I wish I knew where they were sleeping, I think that's my best bet on catching one. Little stinkers, I can't believe how much they tormented me this morning, walking around that crate, OMG, I keep asking myself, WHAT DID I DO TO YOU GUYS? is this the price I pay for keeping them alive, because I'm not enjoying the teasing.. LOL

Perhaps, this evening they will tease me again by walking around the yard, and I can spy on them to find out what section of the woods they are going in to go to bed and just concentrate on that one section. I don't think they move at night do they? I think I read somewhere they can't see very good at night so they stay put, you would think they would be easy to obtain but MAN do they blend in very well. Exspecailly the girls, the boy is pretty easy with that BRIGHT red but the girls WHAT A CHALLENGE..

At least I don't feel so suicial anymore, perhaps theres still some hope. Over the weekend you could have stabbed me a 100 times and it wouldn't have matter.. THANK YOU..

No and in fact I didn't see them last night nor this morning, grrrr. The boy I have keeps calling them though, so I beleive they are still around. I was hoping they would come out so that I can keep an eye on them to find out what general area they are going to sleep at night. I having a little issue with the trap, something keeps going in it and pulling the bowls out? I find them in the yard in the mornings, GRRRR

That SOMETHING that is pulling out the bowls may be some predator that may eat your babies. So you need to remove the food and water at night. If you don't see them soon, you probably wont. At some point, if they are alive, they may move off to somewhere else. I am so sorry.

Are you keeping a female Coturnix with the male? Hopefully she keeps him company enough to keep him calm. Keep us posted. :)

That SOMETHING that is pulling out the bowls may be some predator that may eat your babies. So you need to remove the food and water at night. If you don't see them soon, you probably wont. At some point, if they are alive, they may move off to somewhere else. I am so sorry.

Are you keeping a female Coturnix with the male? Hopefully she keeps him company enough to keep him calm. Keep us posted. :)
AHHHH don't say that, OMG, I don't want them to move on. CRAP... Yes I have a female in there but she just hides in the corner like she's scared to death of him. LOL He still goes to the screen window and calls for the others.

I will take the bowls out at night, Do you have any clue what time is bed time for them? I was out there from 7pm to 9pm and no signs of them. I'm wondering if I need to get out there sooner?

I'm making a trip to PA this weekend to pick up some babies, the person Thought she had a beat up girl but come to find out it's not a gambel that it's a Valley. DANG IT..

The babies that she has are 4 weeks old, do you think that will be Old enough? I know you said 6 weeks but 4 is pretty close?? LOL...

I can't believe I'm the only person in OHIO who has gambels, LOL... I found a person who has females he wants to send two females for $95.00 I thought that was a little pricy but then the next email he said he won't send them until Fall when it cools down, makes sense to me but I need something NOW apparently he's in Maine to far for me to travel.

If I can only find there sleeping grounds, do you think they sleep in different spots each night or go back to the original spot since it's Safe?

Quail usually start to bed down at dusk. So about a half hour before dark, they usually find a spot to hunker down in.

As for the 4 week olds....what breed are these? Gambels? You could probably put them in a dog crate inside your aviary so they all get used to each other. Maybe at 5 weeks you could release the young ones. Just watch everybody closely to make sure the babies are ok. You could put your Coturnix back in with her kind at that point. And actually, if she is that frightened, I would go ahead and remover her now. No sense in scaring her to death for the male that is not even concerned that she is even there. So I would put her back with her kind.

Your male will get over it. And once you mix in the new birds, eventually he will consider them good enough and should relax a bit.

Quail usually start to bed down at dusk. So about a half hour before dark, they usually find a spot to hunker down in.

As for the 4 week olds....what breed are these? Gambels? You could probably put them in a dog crate inside your aviary so they all get used to each other. Maybe at 5 weeks you could release the young ones. Just watch everybody closely to make sure the babies are ok. You could put your Coturnix back in with her kind at that point. And actually, if she is that frightened, I would go ahead and remover her now. No sense in scaring her to death for the male that is not even concerned that she is even there. So I would put her back with her kind.

Your male will get over it. And once you mix in the new birds, eventually he will consider them good enough and should relax a bit.
OK good to know. WHEW.. it gets dark around 9:00pm but I kept and eye out for them for 2 hours and nothing..

Back
Top Bottom