Gander with frostbite! Suggestions for treatment

lara_k

In the Brooder
May 15, 2018
Hello all! I rescued a gander a couple of days ago (I think he’s a Chinese x Embden) who seems not to be in the best shape. He’s terribly thin (you can feel his breast bone very easily), and his feathers are in rough shape. Most concerning are his feet: he has small patches of frostbite (blackened areas) at the tips of his webbing. He also does seem to be in pain—he’s not very steady on his feet, and seems hesitant to put weight on them (the right foot in particular). I set him up with a bath this afternoon (so he could clean up and so he could keep off his feet for a bit), and then used diluted H2O2 to clean the webbing and then coated the areas with organic coconut oil. Not sure how effective that was. Does anybody have any suggestions for at-home treatments? Also, anything for pain relief? Thank you!!

Hello all! I rescued a gander a couple of days ago (I think he’s a Chinese x Embden) who seems not to be in the best shape. He’s terribly thin (you can feel his breast bone very easily), and his feathers are in rough shape. Most concerning are his feet: he has small patches of frostbite (blackened areas) at the tips of his webbing. He also does seem to be in pain—he’s not very steady on his feet, and seems hesitant to put weight on them (the right foot in particular). I set him up with a bath this afternoon (so he could clean up and so he could keep off his feet for a bit), and then used diluted H2O2 to clean the webbing and then coated the areas with organic coconut oil. Not sure how effective that was. Does anybody have any suggestions for at-home treatments? Also, anything for pain relief? Thank you!!
I have NO experience with frostbite, however those who do will want to see pictures. Good luck

Here’s a full body pic. You can see the blackened edges if you scroll in

Attachments

• DCAC2E4B-A3A7-4706-84F4-61F2916B974B.jpeg
    DCAC2E4B-A3A7-4706-84F4-61F2916B974B.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 21
With frost bite you don’t want to rub the skin so warm soaks in Epsom salt water can help thenkeep him on soft bedding that won’t rub the skin. Your just going to have to let time take it’s course here unless you can take him to the vets? Veterycin spray can help soothe. I’d keep him warm and dry sine his feathers don’t look very water proof. Good food and some good poultry vitamins can help too. He’s very lucky. You rescued him.

With frost bite you don’t want to rub the skin so warm soaks in Epsom salt water can help thenkeep him on soft bedding that won’t rub the skin. Your just going to have to let time take it’s course here unless you can take him to the vets? Veterycin spray can help soothe. I’d keep him warm and dry sine his feathers don’t look very water proof. Good food and some good poultry vitamins can help too. He’s very lucky. You rescued him.
Poor Leonard. I feel so sad and disappointed that someone let him get to that point I haven’t been able to locate a vet since getting my ducks a while back, but I will give it another go. Thanks so
much for the advice—-I was having a hard time finding any information online

Ve
Vetericyn is great stuff,.

Back
Top Bottom