Gangrene or something else on my hen's foot?

lfoose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Medina, OH
I noticed today that the toe of my one hen's foot is black. It wasn't like that a couple of days ago. Any ideas on what it could be or what I can do? It doesn't smell and is not squishy or real hard...kind of in between.

Also-if it matters, this is my house hen that has icky looking feet. I was told that the previous owners didn't properly feed or care for her. This specific toe had a problem about a year ago. A piece of hair got wrapped around it-that is where the bump comes from that you can see in the picture. I removed the hair and medicated the foot w/antibact. cream.

What do you suggest I do now for her toe?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/lfoose/Goofytoe.jpg

Just wanted to bump the message. I am concerned and not real sure what to do. Wrap her foot and wait it out? Cut off the toe? Going to the dr is not an option. There isn't one in the area and the regular vet charges a ton for doing nothing.

I shared this earlier on a post about frost-biten feet... maybe it applies here, also... I waited it out because I didn't kno what else to do and at that time I didn't have BYC... itworked out well for Stumpy... I hope for the best for your girl!

The story of Stumpy (to give you hope for your girl)...

Stumpy got lost out in the snow one night and I thought he was a goner. Showed up the next day with severe frost bite on both of his feet, not just his toes. I called my vet and he said that their was nothing that could be done for him. I placed him in a fresh bed in the pen and put food and water so he could get to them... he continued to eat and drink and have a zest for life and seemed to me in not much, if any, pain.

Time passed... both feet turned black and fell off! I created prosthetics from the corners of a plastic milk jug and velcrow. Stumpy learned in no time to walk again and eventually didn't need the prosthetics and walked on his stumps! He didn't like walking on the driveway or other hard surfaces (grating on his bones), but walked normal on soft grass and dirt.

Of course he couldn't jump on and grab the hens anymore but he did his other roosterly duties very well, watching over his hens and calling them for bugs. He lived a good life and seemed to not even notice his loss.

Stumpy was finally snatched by a coyote... such is the life of a free-range chicken.

Good luck with your girl and hope she has as good a life a Stumpy!

Get her drunk then cut it off with big strong garden shears. Bring a towel and after you cut the toe off give it pressure to stop it from breeding. Then wrap it up tightly to keep it from bleeding more. Keep her inside and drunk until she recovers.

sent you a pm... my first time so i hope you got it.
fl.gif

Just went back an re-read your original post... if she has bad looking feet/legs she could have scaley leg mites (and has maybe had them for a while)... they do terrible damage to legs and toes... I would treat her for this also... you need to smother the mites so an oil of some kind will do that... vaseline smeared on from toes to feathers or (and I think this is easier) a spray oil like Pam or WD40 works... I used WD40 alternately with generic Pam spray for 2 weeks daily (if really bad you might need to do it longer)... after the first week, soak legs/feet in warm water and rub off anything dead... keep oil on a while longer... hope this is useful.

Back
Top Bottom