Gapeworm not responding to Safe-Guard in chicks

@frostic @dawg53 I'll go ahead and call the vet then. I was thinking not respiratory because there are no other respiratory symptoms?? But regardless the vet will be able to give me a confirmation of something with a fecal exam. Thanks for y'alls help. Is there anything I can do for them until then? I've already been doing the VetRx under wing and around face just in case.
VerRx is pretty worthless. A vet should be able to help but know that most respiratory diseases don't really ever go away.

something else i do once a month is I apply VetRX chicken aid under their wings to keep them from having respiratory issues. the box should tell you how to use it. I warm it up and apply it.
be warned though it smells like vicks vapor rub and can burn your eyes if you apply to much
to an indoor chicken LOL
Respiratory diseases are not going to be prevented by doing this.

@sourland Based on their symptoms. Did you see the video? Also they were bred in an outdoor setting so they definitely had access to earthworms and dirt etc prior to them coming to my home.
Not at all likely you are dealing with Gapeworm.

All in all I hope your avian vet can help your chicks. they are so adorable at this age. It really makes me sad to see her struggle breathing like that. she looks as she is suffering, Its a sad thing but if the vet can't help I hate to say this but culling her would be the best if the vet can't help her recover. :hugs🐣🚑

I had to cull a chicken a few weeks ago and I doubt I'll get over it, but it had to be done.

Yes, I do feel that she may have MG or another respiratory disease that is causing the gaping and swallowing. Testing could give you the answer. I agree with giving water, and occasionally electrolytes and vitamins can be helpful. All of the other fad additives are not necessary, and may be harmful, especially if they won’t drink the water. VetRx has nothing in it to cure a respiratory disease. It is a mix of herbal oils and camphor. Iwould try to get some Tylosin or one of the other antibiotics to treat MG.

UPDATE!! I took Bo to the vet on Monday and they did a fecal exam. No parasites. Y'all were right. Vet said it was a lower respiratory infection as he could hear mucus in her lungs. He gave me Tylan for the whole flock, and seemed very doubtful that Bo would make it. She was pretty rough for the following 2-3 days. The gasping was so bad I would see her eat and nearly choke, but she has been doing amazing yesterday and today!!! First time I've seen her with this kind of energy in like 2 weeks. Walking around, preening, drinking and eating well on her own, only gasping very occasionally, and not anywhere nearly as severe as before. Almost the entire rest of the flock seems back to 100% as well. I am SO grateful for everyone's insight here and glad y'all told me to go to the vet.

We do have one little chickie, Dinkle, who has developed a new issue about three days ago. It's weird because she was doing great on antibiotics and looked pretty much back to normal, but then developed this weird swelling under her tongue. It has been about the same for the last 3 days. Her energy is lower than usual, but still pretty good. She has a little trouble eating and drinking, but is still doing it a pretty good amount on her own. Anyone have any suggestions on this? I don't understand how or why it would develop after already being on antibiotics.

I also took all the extra shit out of their water so it's currently just Tylan, Corid, and electrolytes.

Thanks again in advance for all your help!!!

@Eggcessive Hmm, I don't think it's wattles growing in. It definitely seems to be interfering with her ability to swallow. Yesterday there was a good bit of mucus as well, and seeds and things were getting stuck to the inside of her beak, which I had to clean out. Under her tongue there was a little bit of white debris, so I carefully rinsed with saline solution and a syringe. It kind of presents like a canker but I don't know how she would have been exposed to whatever causes them if she is indoors? She has no mucus or white stuff under her tongue today. I have also been applying a hot compress a couple of times a day just in case that might help. I can't tell if it has or not.

Bonus video of how much better Bo is doing:

Back
Top Bottom