Gapeworm or respiratory Illness?

-She is 10 months old
-crop has felt watery for over a couple months.
-diarrhea since November
-acts less lethargic when she is inside the house. But yes she is not as active as she was this summer/fall.
-she is eating but not as much as the rest of the chickens.
-I have never seen her lay an egg on camera & she’s no longer interested in even going into the nest boxes.
-never any eggs to have shell issues.
-we live in Northern MN & it is cold here but my coop is heated to 30-40 degrees.

Congratulations on being only the second person here on BYC in all my time here that I've run across with actual confirmed gape worm in your flock. Dubious honor that it is.

The easiest way to treat all the flock and not have to worry about adjusting for individual weight would be a worming med designed for the water. Fenbedazole (Aquasol) is a broadly recommended wormer for gape worm. The way you get around the individual weight calculation is to calculate the total estimated weight of the entire flock and put the flock dose in the water for five days. It would be best to repeat the dosing again in two weeks. Observe egg withdrawal during treatment and two weeks following the last day of treatment.

Chickens: Safe-Guard® AquaSol must be administered orally to chickens via the drinking water at a daily dose of 1 mg/kg BW (0.454 mg/lb) for 5 consecutive days.

This is an excellent wormer since it's also gentle, reducing the risk of shock from a heavy worm load.
@azygous
Welcome to the way my life rolls😂 anything out of the ordinary seems to happen to me 🫣. Thank goodness for you fellow chickeners to help me through my first year of chicken keeping. I got my first 4 chicks March 17 2022 ☘️. Maybe not such a lucky day in my world…LOL.

So for gapeworm treatment:
The safeguard 10% that I have for goats states it is 100 mg/ml.
?Is the dosing you stated for that strength? (I don’t want to overdose).
?Do I put the dose amount in 1 gallon of water & change it out daily?
?can I use a metal waterer for the mixed solution?
?is it ok to use if some of them are molting on the neck & face area? (Not sure if this is a true molt of picking of feathers.
?how do I treat the premises (coop & run). The vet told my hubby that he should dig out their run a foot down & dispose of the dirt but it is winter here & the ground is frozen 🥶 !!! Although it’s supposed to be in the 30’s here this wknd 🥴
?should I keep Gabby separated since she’s the individual who’s droppings were diagnosed?
?would this be the cause of her diarrhea?

I also reread the gapeworm topic in my chicken health handbook to bring myself up to speed & it was not very informative.

Anything else I need to do?

Last edited:
@azygous
Also I have another hen Pearl on Baytril for a swollen butt/abdomen area until the aqua-Mox I ordered gets here (your help from a different thread of mine (?Ascites). Should I continue her on the Baytril in combination with the safe-guard? The Amoxicillin will be delivered on Friday the 3rd.

Back then I did treat her with 0.25 ml per lb & she is 4 lbs so I was giving her 1 ml in her personal water x 5 days & she was drinking it all.

I will attach a screenshot of how my vet said to treat & what I have at home. I could go to TSC & get Valbazen or paste or something different if need be.
Looks like your vet has you covered to discuss dosing and administering the Safeguard, just follow his instructions.
👇👇👇
bf4c9f93-ffcb-47c9-bc05-70ef384df18e-png.3392966

Looks like your vet has you covered to discuss dosing and administering the Safeguard, just follow his instructions.
👇👇👇
bf4c9f93-ffcb-47c9-bc05-70ef384df18e-png.3392966
I ask additional questions on here because my vet does not enjoy chickens as patients & I’d like to know what else to do to rid of the worms & eggs & help Gabbys issue of diarrhea stop.

Gabby started vomiting up clear fluid (she hasn’t done this for weeks now) & splattery poops again tonight & her crop feels watery AGAIN after 3 weeks of monistat 2x per day (stopped that last weekend). I had them all on Acidified Copper Sulfate since this past Tuesday & it really seemed to stop Gabbys diarrhea & clear up her crop. I stopped the ACS because I wasn’t sure if it’s ok alongside the safeguard.

Worming meds are basically anesthetics. They sedate the worms, the worms become senseless, and the acids in the intestines then dissolve them. There shouldn't be any conflict or interaction with other meds or solutions.

Are you good to start worming the chickens? Or do you have other questions?

Worming meds are basically anesthetics. They sedate the worms, the worms become senseless, and the acids in the intestines then dissolve them. There shouldn't be any conflict or interaction with other meds or solutions.

Are you good to start worming the chickens? Or do you have other questions?

Sorry, I do still have questions from my reply post last night at 8:14 pm. I tagged you in that post. Maybe you didn’t see that one because I posted a few posts. My vet is not answering my questions. He is so busy & I get the sense that he doesn’t see chickens as pets. To him $3 chickens are disposable. I could never bring myself to do that!!😢

I'm sorry if I've missed your questions. Posting to more than one place or posting more than one thread can get confusing, and often we don't receive all the alerts. Please ask your additional questions here as I have no idea where else they may be. I'm eager to help.

In case you want to use Aqua-sol, here are the complete mixing instructions:

Follow the instructions in the order described below to prepare the medicated water. The medicated water must be prepared daily prior to each administration.

Prepare a 1 to 1 dilution (pre-dilution) of Safe-Guard AquaSol in water:
1) Calculate the volume of Safe-Guard® AquaSol to be administered daily.
2) Select a measuring device capable of accurately measuring a volume of at least twice the calculated Safe-Guard® AquaSol daily volume.
[Note: If the total volume of the 1 to 1 dilution needed exceeds the volume of the largest available measuring device, divide the total volume into two or more smaller batches of 1 to 1 dilution, prepared following the steps below. Safe-Guard® AquaSol should always be measured by adding it to a measuring device that already contains an equivalent volume of water.]
3) Pour a volume of water equal to the calculated volume of product needed into the measuring device.
4) Shake the product well before mixing.
5) Fill up the measuring device containing the water with the calculated volume of the product to obtain the 1 to 1 dilution.
[Note: If more than the required amount of the product is accidently poured into the measuring device, discard the entire contents and repeat the process from Step 3 above.]
6) Add the 1 to 1 dilution of Safe-Guard® AquaSol in water to the water supply system as described below. Be careful to avoid any accidental spill or loss of 1 to 1 dilution which may inadvertently result in less than the required dose of fenbendazole.
7) Rinse the container used to prepare the 1 to 1 dilution of Safe-Guard® AquaSol with additional water, and add the rinse water to the medicated water tank or the stock suspension tank of the dosing pump.

For use with a medication tank:
Add the entire 1 to 1 dilution of Safe-Guard® AquaSol in water to the medication tank containing the volume of drinking water usually consumed by the animals in 3 to 24 hours. Stir the medicated water in the medication tank until the medicated water is visibly homogeneous. The medicated water should appear hazy. No further stirring during administration is necessary.

For use with a dosing pump:
Add the entire 1 to 1 dilution of Safe-Guard® AquaSol in water to the water in the stock suspension tank of the dosing pump. The volume of water in the stock suspension container has to be calculated taking as a basis the present injection rate of the dosing pump and the volume of drinking water usually consumed by the animals over a period of 3 to 24 hours. Stir until the content in the stock suspension tank is visibly homogeneous. The medicated water should appear hazy.
At concentrations of up to 5 mL/L stock suspension (1 g fenbendazole/L) no stirring is required. At concentrations from 5 mL up to 75 mL of product /L stock suspension (1,000 mg to 15,000 mg fenbendazole/L) and within up to 8 hours during the treatment administration period no stirring of the stock suspension is required. If the administration period exceeds 8 hours, but being no longer than 24 hours, the stock suspension container needs to be equipped with a stirring device.
During treatment, all animals must have sole and unrestricted access to the medicated water. After complete consumption of the medicated water, the animals should have access to non-medicated drinking water ad libitum. Ensure that the total amount of medicated water offered is consumed.

RESIDUE WARNING: Chickens: No withdrawal period is required when used according to labeling. Swine: Swine intended for human consumption must not be slaughtered within 2 days from the last treatment.

I'm sorry if I've missed your questions. Posting to more than one place or posting more than one thread can get confusing, and often we don't receive all the alerts. Please ask your additional questions here as I have no idea where else they may be. I'm eager to help.

In case you want to use Aqua-sol, here are the complete mixing instructions:

Follow the instructions in the order described below to prepare the medicated water. The medicated water must be prepared daily prior to each administration.

Prepare a 1 to 1 dilution (pre-dilution) of Safe-Guard AquaSol in water:
1) Calculate the volume of Safe-Guard® AquaSol to be administered daily.
2) Select a measuring device capable of accurately measuring a volume of at least twice the calculated Safe-Guard® AquaSol daily volume.
[Note: If the total volume of the 1 to 1 dilution needed exceeds the volume of the largest available measuring device, divide the total volume into two or more smaller batches of 1 to 1 dilution, prepared following the steps below. Safe-Guard® AquaSol should always be measured by adding it to a measuring device that already contains an equivalent volume of water.]
3) Pour a volume of water equal to the calculated volume of product needed into the measuring device.
4) Shake the product well before mixing.
5) Fill up the measuring device containing the water with the calculated volume of the product to obtain the 1 to 1 dilution.
[Note: If more than the required amount of the product is accidently poured into the measuring device, discard the entire contents and repeat the process from Step 3 above.]
6) Add the 1 to 1 dilution of Safe-Guard® AquaSol in water to the water supply system as described below. Be careful to avoid any accidental spill or loss of 1 to 1 dilution which may inadvertently result in less than the required dose of fenbendazole.
7) Rinse the container used to prepare the 1 to 1 dilution of Safe-Guard® AquaSol with additional water, and add the rinse water to the medicated water tank or the stock suspension tank of the dosing pump.

For use with a medication tank:
Add the entire 1 to 1 dilution of Safe-Guard® AquaSol in water to the medication tank containing the volume of drinking water usually consumed by the animals in 3 to 24 hours. Stir the medicated water in the medication tank until the medicated water is visibly homogeneous. The medicated water should appear hazy. No further stirring during administration is necessary.

For use with a dosing pump:
Add the entire 1 to 1 dilution of Safe-Guard® AquaSol in water to the water in the stock suspension tank of the dosing pump. The volume of water in the stock suspension container has to be calculated taking as a basis the present injection rate of the dosing pump and the volume of drinking water usually consumed by the animals over a period of 3 to 24 hours. Stir until the content in the stock suspension tank is visibly homogeneous. The medicated water should appear hazy.
At concentrations of up to 5 mL/L stock suspension (1 g fenbendazole/L) no stirring is required. At concentrations from 5 mL up to 75 mL of product /L stock suspension (1,000 mg to 15,000 mg fenbendazole/L) and within up to 8 hours during the treatment administration period no stirring of the stock suspension is required. If the administration period exceeds 8 hours, but being no longer than 24 hours, the stock suspension container needs to be equipped with a stirring device.
During treatment, all animals must have sole and unrestricted access to the medicated water. After complete consumption of the medicated water, the animals should have access to non-medicated drinking water ad libitum. Ensure that the total amount of medicated water offered is consumed.

RESIDUE WARNING: Chickens: No withdrawal period is required when used according to labeling. Swine: Swine intended for human consumption must not be slaughtered within 2 days from the last treatment.

Welcome to the way my life rolls😂 anything out of the ordinary seems to happen to me 🫣. Thank goodness for you fellow chickeners to help me through my first year of chicken keeping. I got my first 4 chicks March 17 2022 ☘️. Maybe not such a lucky day in my world…LOL.

So for gapeworm treatment:
The safeguard 10% that I have for goats states it is 100 mg/ml.
?Is the dosing you stated for that strength? (I don’t want to overdose).
?Do I put the dose amount in 1 gallon of water & change it out daily?
?can I use a metal waterer for the mixed solution?
?is it ok to use if some of them are molting on the neck & face area? (Not sure if this is a true molt of picking of feathers.
?how do I treat the premises (coop & run). The vet told my hubby that he should dig out their run a foot down & dispose of the dirt but it is winter here & the ground is frozen 🥶 !!! Although it’s supposed to be in the 30’s here this wknd 🥴
?should I keep Gabby separated since she’s the individual who’s droppings were diagnosed?
?would this be the cause of her diarrhea?

I also reread the gapeworm topic in my chicken health handbook to bring myself up to speed & it was not very informative.

Anything else I need to do?

Back
Top Bottom