Gapeworm or respiratory????

SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer is good to worm in general, and treats gapeworms. Very few antibiotics that treat respiratory diseases are available without a vet. Tylosin powder for the water may be available online from a pigeon supplier, such as Jedds.com. Feedstores may sell refrigerated antibiotics such as oxytetracycline injectable, and syringes with needles. LA200 is a known brand. Other than that, you can make sure the coop ventilation is good, prevent amonia odors or mold in the coop and run, and try to keep her drinking well. Feed stores love to sell VetRx, but it is just herbal oils mixed with camphor, and not going to treat a respiratory disease.

Update. Decided to treat for respiratory. I could only find Duramcyin. She’s had two shots, second one we have two days after the first. She appears to be better. She’s not gasping anymore she only sneezes once in a while. Should we continue with another round of shots???

Well that’s my question I don’t know how long to do it. I was following what was on this picture. Any help would be appreciated!
Once antibiotics are started, I would always finish the course. Glad to hear that she is doing better.

Attachments

• 8EEBAC87-2C19-4C0C-A181-A97FE4A21F60.jpeg
    8EEBAC87-2C19-4C0C-A181-A97FE4A21F60.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 20
Is your hen able to eat and drink? Chickens with gapeworms usually are in severe distress trying to breathe that they cannot et or drink. Chickens who are overheated will sometimes gape and pant, and hold their wings away from the body. Can you listen to her breathing for crackles or wheezes? Does she have eye or nasal drainage? There are a number of chronic respiratory diseases with different symptoms. Gapeworms can be seen in the trachea upon a necropsy (autopsy) in affected chickens, and the worm eggs can be seen in the droppings on a microscope by a vet.
So, we ended up treating with antibiotics. However this morning I found this poop in her pen. What kind of worm is this???? Her symptoms have all but passed besides a sneeze here and there. I don’t know what to do as far as treatment...do I deworm? Safeguard?

Attachments

• F99301F1-F3B6-424E-A566-1EC0B3DF73EB.jpeg
    F99301F1-F3B6-424E-A566-1EC0B3DF73EB.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 19
  • E7BE0928-7CC8-408C-97F1-23543FC26391.jpeg
    E7BE0928-7CC8-408C-97F1-23543FC26391.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 19
That looks like a roundworm, but there is some blood in the droppings. I would worm with Valbazen or SafeGuard.
Thank you. This is my first time worming. I know I need to treat all my girls so what’s the best way to treat the sick hen and then the rest of my girls
(6) how long is the treatment and the amount? Thank you for all your help

Back
Top Bottom