"Gapeworm" solved...I think

RiaN12207

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2023
A few months ago I made a post on here because I was pulling my hair out trying to treat what I thought to be gapeworm. I have seen many posts online with people having the same issue and I hope this might be able to help someone of they're dealing with the same thing.

I was dealing with "gapeworm" for months regularly using SafeGaurd to worm, VetRx, a huge array of natural remedies, and limed most of the yard. Symptoms would go away but always kept showing back up. I went to the vet and was prescribed antibiotics. Again the symptoms went away and came back as always with everything else i tried.

Im happy to say its been over a month since I've had to use something to treat them. I know this may sound crazy but i would be happy to elaborate on the amount of things we've tried and what kept happening. Over the course of a month I singled out ingredients in their feed and about 5 days after pulling the peanuts their respiratory symptoms dramatically improved. One day I gave them each a couple because i wanted to know for certain and sure enough the gasping and choking started again. Today they are all doing excellent since i got rid of the peanuts.

Im not saying all peanuts are bad and I am aware they shouldn't have too many because of fatty liver disease so I was only giving them small portions as treats. I was buying bags in the bird feed section of Rural King. I dont know if they use pesticides or what but all I can say with absolute certainty is my chickens breathe well now after completing removing these and if you buy these and are having any respiratory problems I would stop giving them those and see if it helps.

**I'm not very familiar with navigating this site and it won't allow me to post without an imagine so here's one of my favorite roo named Nugget. I act as his raincoat when his ladies are out foraging in the rain. He hates getting wet but has to keep a good eye on them from within my jacket :)

Attachments

• 20230427_161049.jpg
    20230427_161049.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom