Gapeworm?

Well, the girls are all molting suddenly--who wouldn't want to molt just as 27 degree weather approaches? And because there are way too many pasty/dirty butts wandering around--due to the worms? No clue, I gave them all a little bath. Big Red included. I gave him vitamin drencher. They are on Rooster Booster dewormer. I bought a Chicken Health package that is a natural way to maintain health during deworming. You put it in the water. And I have to go out of town. I told our chicken sitter if she arrives and Big Red is um gone, to please take him to our vet who would autopsy or send to state to autopsy. And all eggs to be boiled and fed back to the hens; no human consumption. When I get back in a week and a day, I'll see where we are at. If Big Red is still around and still ugh, I'll use the next dewormer on the list.

No, no lice or mites and I just cleaned the coop and put down diatamacous food grade earth.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT.

And now, I might have to go take another bath. Or two.

Very best,

Toe

I read up on gout. His legs seem to be okay. His poops, not. So I'm leaning towards worm diagnosis. Though no longer convinced about tapeworm as he'd be long gone if it were that and he isn't gasping.

Toe
It doesn't have to be full fledged gout. It can simply be kidney failure.
If visceral gout, The symptoms can me one or all of the following; white pasty diarrhea, depression, weight loss, darkened head and shanks, attempting to hide or sometimes they just die within 24 hours with no symptoms. If some symptoms are missing, it doesn't mean that isn't the problem.

Well, the girls are all molting suddenly--who wouldn't want to molt just as 27 degree weather approaches? And because there are way too many pasty/dirty butts wandering around--due to the worms? No clue, I gave them all a little bath. Big Red included. I gave him vitamin drencher. They are on Rooster Booster dewormer. I bought a Chicken Health package that is a natural way to maintain health during deworming. You put it in the water. And I have to go out of town. I told our chicken sitter if she arrives and Big Red is um gone, to please take him to our vet who would autopsy or send to state to autopsy. And all eggs to be boiled and fed back to the hens; no human consumption. When I get back in a week and a day, I'll see where we are at. If Big Red is still around and still ugh, I'll use the next dewormer on the list.
I'm still a bit at a loss understanding. The vet wormed him. What kind of worms did the vet discover that he was infested with?
If you don't know the type of worms, or even if any worms are present, what is the reason to continue to give one wormer after another?
Just like most meds, wormers can be hard on a birds system - especially one that is not well in the first place..

Excellent question re worms. I guess I am just at a loss how to save him. I had hoped taking him (and highly stressing him) to the vet would result in an answer. I am entirely subject to suggestion and also a two hour drive away until Monday. We have a watermelon in the basement. I'll ask our chicken sitter to offer some to Red, assuming he is still around. The odd (?) thing is this has been going on for almost two months.

Hi,
The final update: we were away for over a week and upon our return last night, knew it was time. We took him in to the vet again today and had him put down. A necropsy showed that he had a large tumor around his stomach and intestines. I am relieved he is not in discomfort anymore, and that it wasn't, per se, my fault. Thank you all for your suggestions and time. I only wish I had known it was that so he didn't have to suffer quite so long. He was a great roo.
Toe

Hi,
The final update: we were away for over a week and upon our return last night, knew it was time. We took him in to the vet again today and had him put down. A necropsy showed that he had a large tumor around his stomach and intestines. I am relieved he is not in discomfort anymore, and that it wasn't, per se, my fault. Thank you all for your suggestions and time. I only wish I had known it was that so he didn't have to suffer quite so long. He was a great roo.
Toe

Sorry for you loss.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom