Gapeworm?

Toetwo

Songster
11 Years
Jun 6, 2012
Here I am again about my RI Red cock. He is three years old and has been sick for two months. I have posted previously about him. Took him to vet who dewormed him, de something else him and suggested vitamin drench three times a day. That was three weeks ago.

Red has lost a lot of weight, his comb looks all white and sad. He has lost a lot of his plumagge. He is clearly weak and can barely walk at this point. I self diagnosed him yesterday -- we took fecal to the vet and he found worm eggs. At which point I started reading up on worms. Red also does a weird opening of beak as if to crow. He doesn't really move his head about. or toss it back. Gape worm? I looked into his throat and didn't see any beady eyes looking back . . .

We also found a few disgusting skinny worms on the poop board where hens sit. Because the vet suggested Wazine for all, I put that out in their water last night and a fresh batch this morning, all other water sources gone. I have given them yogurt with lots of cayenne and garlic powder. Pumpkin seeds--all clearly too late as a preventative not a cure. Because I wanted to be sure Red got some, I used the syringe I've used for the vitamin drench and put some yogurt down his gullet and then some treated water.

I have read way too many different posts of too different toxins from verm-X to safeguard and have absolutely no idea what to do or use. I seem to have terrible luck with these wonderful birds. Bumble foot to frost bite to worms, I am doing something wrong and the poor clucks have to suffer.

Please send me a suggestion what to do. I hate to see Big Red stumble about. The hens hang out with him to keep him company so he isn't being pecked at or anything. Even our three month old cockerel seems to hang out with him thus far with no problems.

What to give him, or do I just give up?

Thank you for taking this time to read this.

Toe

That was a very informative post and it seems like you have acquired a good bit of knowledge.
It could be gapeworm and that is treated with either thiabendazole or levamisole.

You may not want to hear this but I imagine you have been feeding all your birds layer feed for the bulk of the last 3 years. If so, he could easily have kidney failure and visceral gout.

Gapeworm usually causes so much gasping that birds are unable to eat or drink. But there are other worms such as capillary (hairworm) worms that may cause trouble breathing. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer (fenbendazole,) which is easy to find in most TSC or feed stores, can be used for both capillary and gapeworm. The dosage is higher and more often than for roundworm, but it is 1/4 ml per pound of weight, given orally, for 5 consecutive days. Is red molting at this time? SafeGuard has sometimes been noted to cause odd feather growth if used during a molt. In that case Valbazen can be used 1/2 ml orally, and repeated in 10 days. Levamisole can be hard on chickens, has to be given several times for gapeworm, and is harder to find in the US. As with all worms, it is good to treat more often if worms are a problem in your soil.

Thank you for your responses. At this point, Big Red is looking so bad, I hope he just dies. :-(

Not sure if he's molting; he's lost a lot of feathers in the last month but around his neck and tail. I thought at first that was what was happening--a molt.

I read up on gout. His legs seem to be okay. His poops, not. So I'm leaning towards worm diagnosis. Though no longer convinced about tapeworm as he'd be long gone if it were that and he isn't gasping.

I gave them all a day of Wazine in water. They didn't seem to drink much. I squired about 1/2 ml into Red's mouth to ensure he had some. And fed him rice with cayenne and garlic powder. He ate and then lurched off. My husband says he isn't looking good this morning. I guess I cross my fingers and in ten days proceed with SafeGuard--though what I"ve read says to go with Valbazen as it's easier on the chickens?

Something tells me Red won't be around at that point.

He really looks uncomfortable. Is there an easy way to put him out of his misery? Lopping off his head is too violent. . . Or am I giving up too easily?

Toe

Was one doesn't kill off all types of worms. I'd consider the rooster a "canary in the coal mine" and assume all the birds have all the worms he has. I'd cull him and use Valbazen on the rest.

If you can hand feed them bread, and tell which bird is which, then putting a dab on a bite of bread for each one is a good way to do it. Otherwise, you may have to catch each one, but the bread trick may still be easier than direct dosing. At least with Valbazen you don't have to do it every day.

Egg withdrawal is usually two weeks from last dose. (I just feed the scrambled eggs back to them during this period).

Last edited:
If you choose to cull, I'd send him to your state poultry lab for humane euthanasia and a full necropsy. That way you'll know exactly what was wrong and how to care for your remaining birds. It is free in some states and reasonable for the peace of mind in others.
I'd still wager kidney damage if he's been eating layer feed all his life. You won't know without a necropsy.

Safeguard is very safe. It's use in kittens, puppies, foals, pregnant mares, breeding stallions and all species of birds.

-Kathy

Was one doesn't kill off all types of worms. I'd consider the rooster a "canary in the coal mine" and assume all the birds have all the worms he has. I'd cull him and use Valbazen on the rest.

If you can hand feed them bread, and tell which bird is which, then putting a dab on a bite of bread for each one is a good way to do it. Otherwise, you may have to catch each one, but the bread trick may still be easier than direct dosing. At least with Valbazen you don't have to do it every day.

Egg withdrawal is usually two weeks from last dose. (I just feed the scrambled eggs back to them during this period).

To treat one for gapes with Valbazen one would have to give it three days in a row I think.

-Kathy

Thank you for your responses. At this point, Big Red is looking so bad, I hope he just dies. :-(

Not sure if he's molting; he's lost a lot of feathers in the last month but around his neck and tail. I thought at first that was what was happening--a molt.

I read up on gout. His legs seem to be okay. His poops, not. So I'm leaning towards worm diagnosis. Though no longer convinced about tapeworm as he'd be long gone if it were that and he isn't gasping.

I gave them all a day of Wazine in water. They didn't seem to drink much. I squired about 1/2 ml into Red's mouth to ensure he had some. And fed him rice with cayenne and garlic powder. He ate and then lurched off. My husband says he isn't looking good this morning. I guess I cross my fingers and in ten days proceed with SafeGuard--though what I"ve read says to go with Valbazen as it's easier on the chickens?

Something tells me Red won't be around at that point.

He really looks uncomfortable. Is there an easy way to put him out of his misery? Lopping off his head is too violent. . . Or am I giving up too easily?

Toe

Have you check him and the others for mites and lice? There are things you can do to try to save him, but it would require some amount of work.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom