Gaping/Wheezing

BeckyChic

Hatching
Aug 31, 2021
Hi All,
I've been reading this forum for awhile and have gotten much information.
I have been nursing a 5 yo chicken who started gaping 7 days ago. I did 5 days of fenbendazole (1ml as she weighs 4lbs) and twice daily injections of 1ml Tylan50 plus 1/2 baby aspirin twice a day. She did get so much better but after stopping treatment for 36 hrs she's right back to gaping and croaking. She's been really pretty bright and eating throughout. Anything else to try?

I did switch to trying doxycycline tonight. I only have 125mg pills and gave her a half which I think is overdosing her (4 lbs). Looks like the doxy is twice a day for a loooong time from what I've read? She looks so bad right now. If this doesn't work, I'll let her go. There is no vet in my area that will treat a chicken. I've tried over and over to find one. I hate watching her be sick and feeling at loss what to do.

Do you see any swelling of the eyelids, foamy eye, nasal drainage, or other symptoms? Is he active and eating/drinking? Antibiotics do not help if he could have a virus or fungal infection from mold. In some links about doxy, and birds, it says to treat in the water for 7-10 days. Here is one:
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/doxycycline-20
Hi! No eye or nasal drainage. She was kind of coughing up clear mucous today. She was eating up til yesterday. Today she's coughing/croaking so much, she's not. I gave her a 2nd oral dose of doxy. I'd worry in her water she might not get enough? She responded well to the Tylan50 but then reoccured so quickly after treatment I feel like it could be bacterial? Maybe I should just go back on Tylan50 but longer than 5 days?

She may have a virus, and those do not respond to antibiotics, but have to run their course over several weeks. You are right that giving the dosage orally would be best to get her to get enough. Doxy is one of those that is not the easiest to find dosages for. I believe that a dosage of 20-25 mg per pound given daily (split the dosage in two every 12 hours,) for 7-10 days. Weigh your hen on kitchen scale or by holding her on home scales then subtracting your weight to get an accurate weight.

Update: So I've been giving Doxycycline twice daily for 3 days now in addition to 1/2 a baby aspirin twice daily for inflammation. And totally without any recommendation I've been giving her an albuterol inhaler, this was helping a lot. (I gave the inhaler by putting a plastic bag with air in it over her head and then puffing the inhaler under it and letting her breathe a breath or 2)I am NO chicken expert and maybe this could have or is killing her but she was so sick I felt what did I have to lose...She rallied these past 3 days but this morning is back to squawking and coughing up clear mucous. I don't know that there is anything else to do but give her "the last act of kindness" Thanks for the advice @Eggcessive at least I know I did what I could

Back
Top Bottom