Garden Composting: Is it safe to compost tomato plants if I want to let my hens to forage the compos

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by badmsm, Dec 13, 2013.

1. badmsm

badmsm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    On the West Coast, just had the first hard freezes, so want to compost the plants I lost or that were already spent. Is it OK to put my tomato plants in the composter if I plan to let my hens into the pile later on?

Are there other plants I should avoid composting that may harm my hens?

Thanks!

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    You know, my girls ate the leaves off of a number of young volunteer tomato plants during the summer and no one got sick. So, I've guessing that they would be fine to compost. They'll most likely just go through the compost looking for bugs anyway.

3. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I just throw it in (and my bin is in the run) and they just pick at it and spit it out. No losses yet. The only thing I don't compost is avocado pits. Everything else goes in and they either eat it or leave it.

4. badmsm

Jan 27, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I'll just get them in the pile then. :)

5. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Can you explain what you put the stuff in? I just toss mine into the run. Should I be keeping it in somme sort of container?

6. badmsm

Jan 27, 2012
    I have a compost bin, but I will be spreading the contents out in my veggie beds in early spring. The peeps are supposed to do an excellent job of turning it, removing any bad bugs, and adding some fertilizer of their own. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by