Garden Grapes to Vinegar

americanvalkyrie

Songster
8 Years
Nov 20, 2011
Reno, NV
We have tons of grapes growing over our back fence... enough to give us 9 gallons of juice last year. I have more than enough jelly, so this year I want to try to convert it to vinegar. Any home vinegar makers on here? I understand that a good vinegar has a middle stage of alcohol, but we don't drink so I'm pretty ignorant of what kind of wine quality is necessary for the vinegar. We're also low-budget, and I don't want to spend much money on this project. I would love any input, links to education, etc. I'm also thinking of making apple cider vinegar from the apples a friend has promised me in the fall.

I think you have to make them into wine first, then into vinegar ? Not sure.
All the recipes I have seen are to make vinegar from wine or hard cider. It is the vinegar mother, acting on the alcohol to form the vinegar.

There is a link on here (BYC) for making apple cider vinegar - and they just start with apple juice so I may be wrong.

Does anyone know how to make grape juice with just cleaned grapes pulled off their stems and 1 cup of sugar in a quart jar and sealed? I read this years and years ago, someone made it for their churches communion and it was so good the church members wouldn't drink anything else!! But I can't remember the particulars, but the sugar and grapes went together and made juice . . .ring a bell with anyone??

Probably just need to add a bit of yeast to it to make wine.There is some specific yeasts for wine making,but I have seen vids where people use bread yeast mixed in with grape juice.

To make vinegar perhaps you can add some of the *mother* from apple cider vinegar like I add yougurt to milk to make more yogurt. The mother is the cloudy stuff at the bottom of unpasturized vinegar.

http://www.gangofpour.com/diversions/vinegar/vinegar1.html

Back
Top Bottom