Garden just for the Chickens

Amigatec

Songster
9 Years
Jan 31, 2010
Haskell Oklahoma
If you were planting a garden just for the chickens what would you plant??

I have lettuce and spinach seed for next spring. What other choices would you pick??

Plan a compost heap.
when you turn it over it will be full of little red compost worms. I am mobbed when I dig mine over.

Sandie

Tomatos, zuchini, summer squash, anything leafy, I would even plant some extra winter squash-mine love to clean out the shells after they've been cooked and scooped out.........maybe even some extra sweet corn just for them. The possibilities are pretty much endless, really!

You could add more leafy greens. Chard will grow in the cool spring and also the summer, when it's too hot for spinach or lettuce. Collards do well in hot weather. Kale is good in the fall, into winter. I plant rainbow chard mixes the most, because it does well in any season and is pretty, too. You can harvest just the outer leaves and have the plant growing all year. It even looks good in pots or flower beds, to me.

I always plant small tomatoes for the chickens, although they like large ones, too.

Some parsley. Chickweed. Purslane. A little clover and alfalfa. You can buy seeds for all of those. If you just want a small amount of alfalfa or clover seeds, you could buy a small packet of seeds used for sprouting, instead of the huge amounts sold for planting fields. My chickens also like sprouts. Like the other leafy greens, the chickens can just graze on any of these.

Really, any vegetable sold for people, although some may need to be opened up for them, to get it started. Then they can peck out the softer insides.

Pumpkins and winter squash are good in the fall and will store for awhile, too.

Any berry bushes would be nice. Maybe a grape vine.

My chickens love my grape vine but I think that tomatoes are their absolute favorite thing to snack. They also like acorn swash but it was cooked. Going to give them some baked sweet potato tomorrow : )

Back
Top Bottom