Garden Moat, what kind of fence to use for inside?

sparkles2307

Terd of Hurtles
11 Years
Oct 23, 2008
Northwestern Minnesota
Obviously for the outside fence we will use something predator proof, but for the inside fence, next to the garden, am I correct in my decision to simply use chicken wire? Obviously there will be no monsters trying to get the birds from the INSIDE
smile.png
Unless I get a Little Shop of Horrors plant haha. Trying to svae pennies off wherever I can and right now we're looking at $250 for fence alone!!!

If the garden is open for predators to enter that side of the Run then I'd have to say you'll need more than Chicken Wire. But if it's not, then I'd go with chicken wire for sure!!

I think I'm confused...are you asking about putting up a chicken wire fence around the outside of the chicken area, then you have a moat, then you are putting predator proof fence on the outside? You want the chicken wire to keep the chickens out of the moat? If that's the case, why not just build one fence, a predator proof one, on the inside of the moat so it does double duty? What's with the moat? Okay I'm either confused, stupid, or just need some caffeine! Anybody have a Coke?

Ok, this the the temp set up I have until I can get their summer tractor done.

Inside my big run (which is about to become my veggie garden) I have made a 2ft high by 2ft wide tunnel/moat. They are able to get out of the coop and wander an area of about 60ft long by 2ft wide. Plus a 10x10 attached dog kennel.

This is only a temp set up like I said until I get the tractor done this week so they have access all day long to grass and bugs.

Our set up is this:
24x36 ft garden with 4 ft chicken run "moat" all the way around it. The only way in for us will be the single gate we are adding. Otherwise, the moat will be connected to the coop. We are putting heavy duty wire on the outer fence wall to keep the critters out, and since the garden gate will be shut I am assuming it'll be ok to use just plain ol'chicken wire on the inside next to the garden. We are going to zigzag fishing line all across the top (or just run chicken wire over that too) to keep out hawks and owls.

I would think chicken wire would be fine
smile.png
I wouldnt' use plastic netting, but I don't think you'd need hardware cloth or anything. If you wanted to go halfsies, you could do heavier wire just on the bottom 2 feet or so, and chicken wire above that.

Back
Top Bottom