Garden Shed converted into Chicken Coop?

Bridgette13

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2017
Hey all! I am brand new around here and wanted to say hello and get some ideas from you guys. I've had chicken on the brain for the past year and my mother gave me this old garden shed/storage shed from her property. Now, Husby granted me with an area to keep any chickies I get to an area near the grain bins on our farm. My question is, is this area big enough? I plan to add a run of some sort and maybe an electric fence around all of it for extra protection too. Thoughts? Alternative ideas? We have outlets on the base of the grain bins that would allow me electricity to the coop for a couple of things. And we have a water source not far from this space too. Also, what kind of flooring should we use in this shed? The original flooring is falling out and needs replaced. I thought plywood and cover with a vinyl flooring, but Husby thinks that the moisture from the ground under it will pull up and settle between the plywood and the vinyl flooring and cause problems. Thoughts..Ideas? I do know that this shed needs tons of work and fixins' done to it. .. Like more windows, ventilation, roosts, boxes and I'd like to get those rocks out of there and have more grass filled in... thanks guys n gals!
coop area 2.jpg
coop area.jpg
coop area 3.jpg

Things to keep in mind when figuring space requirements per bird, each standard size bird requires 4sq. ft. or more of floor space in the coop and 10sq. ft. or more run space. I am not versed in bantam space requirements but I am sure someone can pipe in on that. We have a 10x16 barn shed that currently has 1 5x10 coop and soon will have 2 in it with 10x15 runs attached.

Welcome to BYC!

Looks like a great shed.
Ditto TLK's and PPK's posts.

One thought is to raise that puppy up a couple feet, will eliminate several issues(dampness and rodent refuge) and add the plus of sheltered space for birds.

My Coop was built in an existing shed.

Knowing your climate will help fine tune suggestions.
Adding your general geographical location to your profile is a great help to most folks giving advice.

Back
Top Bottom