Garden thread

Pics
How were your turnips? I’ve never grown them because I assumed they’d get wormy. I’d sure love to have some for variety!

They're good, well, assuming you like turnips (everyone always looks at me funny for growing "fodder"). I grow the standard purple top variety that's most common in stores. I've tried other varieties, but IMO this gives you both tasty greens and good quality roots. Ideally I pull them by the time they get about as big as my closed fist.

They can get sluggy so I try to keep burying the tops of the roots as they grow, otherwise I just cut off the slug nibbled portions.

They're good, well, assuming you like turnips (everyone always looks at me funny for growing "fodder"). I grow the standard purple top variety that's most common in stores. I've tried other varieties, but IMO this gives you both tasty greens and good quality roots. Ideally I pull them by the time they get about as big as my closed fist.

They can get sluggy so I try to keep burying the tops of the roots as they grow, otherwise I just cut off the slug nibbled portions.
Well that’s encouraging! I like them raw or added to soup once in a while.

Well that’s encouraging! I like them raw or added to soup once in a while.

I had SO many turnips last year (I kinda overplanted... 3 4' rows, which is a lot for 2 people to eat) that we had multiple "turnip weeks" to use them up. I mashed them with bacon, casseroled them with carrots, stewed them with lamb and pot roast, learned to make Chinese turnip cake, etc.

Honestly more interested in the greens than the roots, but I love veggies that do double duty, so it was a win win to be able to find recipes to use up the roots too.

Jealous. My tomatoes are flowering and that's it. 1 pepper is flowering. I might have some carrots at least but they're likely still baby sized, so I'm trying to hold off on pulling some until I see a telltale orange top appear. And snap peas look like they're already done... half the plants are yellowing and withering. Was hoping they'd produce a little more.

Harvested some turnips last week, so pretty happy to have gotten that much. Collards are growing very well so should be able to eat those soon.
My tomatoes were already flowering when I bought them in early May so I don't have much to do with them doing well. The peppers started flowering right after I planted them as well.

My thought on the carrots is, I can pull the 3 I have when they are "supposed" to be mature and see what they look like and re-plant which might give me a decent crop before winter, if I leave these alone longer in the hopes they will do well, then I will only get 3 carrots and 1/4 of my bed will be essentially wasted this year.

My thought on the carrots is, I can pull the 3 I have when they are "supposed" to be mature and see what they look like and re-plant which might give me a decent crop before winter, if I leave these alone longer in the hopes they will do well, then I will only get 3 carrots and 1/4 of my bed will be essentially wasted this year.

I'll probably pull some carrots next week and see how big they've gotten (and then eat them) - I generally reseed a few times from early spring through early fall so I usually have carrots available from mid summer through winter.

Back
Top Bottom