💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if maybe we should start a new "What did you do in the garden today" thread? Since it's a new year - maybe we should also have a new thread for this year. Gardening time is coming!!!
What do you all think? I thought it would be easier for newer members/gardeners to get all kinds of info with a new thread!
It's okay if no one likes this idea. :)
- Clucky

Last edited:
I think I may plant 1 or 2 of each veggie in pots and 1 or 2 in the ground. See what does better! What kind of soil do you use in your pots? I have a lemon tree in the ground and get over 200 lemons/year on it. It is only about 5’ tall and wide. I also have satsuma trees that get pretty full. I planted the cauliflower and broccoli as transplants, in the ground in early sept. They are just now forming heads. I hope to get them before the cabbage worms do...

Have you ever tried neem oil for cabbage worms? I think it helped with mine, although the heat/chickens got them shortly after so I don't have full data on that.

Our soil here is basically a centimeter deep over limestone, so I had to buy garden soil from a local yard here for my raised beds. It was like $40 for a cubic yard, which isn't bad, I think. I mix it with my compost pile and a little perlite for my potted plants. It works well enough and is much cheaper than potting soil. I think the burlap bags help keep them from getting waterlogged. What do you use for soil?

My lemon and grapefruit trees are still very small, as they are only two years old, and in pots. I got probably twenty lemons and grapefruits this year.

I’ve used BT, but not neem. I’ll check it out. I usually just pluck them off and give them to the chickens, but they get down in the broccoli head and are hard to get out.
I love blueberries! I only have 2 bushes, but plan to plant a couple more soon.

I've used neem oil for insect control and copper fungicide for disease control. I haven't tried BT.

When I'm potting vegetables, I'll use some peat moss along with perlite and then some premaid potting mix that the local Agway sells. I use the Espoma Bio Tone starter fertilizer in everything I transplant wether its into the ground or a container. The biggest issues I have when doing this at a previous residence was bird control and sometimes loose cats at night.

Good evening everyone, I hope you're all doing well. :)
Just wanted to share: Last summer when I grew sunflowers, the chipmunks and squirrels would climb the stem and then chew the head off the sunflower! When it dropped, they would scurry down the stem and drag away the head! :rolleyes: I got a little upset with them when they kept doing it. I like growing sunflowers! Especially the big ones that grow about 4 feet tall.
I have another question: Even though it's winter outside is it possible to start a few plants indoors like peas, lettuce, or radishes right now? It is the middle of winter so I'm not sure. Thank you!

Patience grasshopper.
I know it is very hard to wait and wait and wait.
Radish, beans and peas should be direct seen in the garden.

Lettuce is a maybe as posted by Rooapalooza. A sunny South facing window certainly is a good place to try.

I was taking the trash out yesterday evening and a neighbor walking her dog asked me about my front garden beds.

It surprised me since they have been a bit neglected the last 2 years.

She is hoping I plant more violas in my funny giant teacup planter. It was pretty cute really.

IMG_20180515_132341.jpg

Some of my tulips. They have mostly aged out of existence in the front bed.....or the squirrels took them. :hmm

IMG_20190428_120033.jpg
We put together my tiny greenhouse last spring and I moved all my raised beds to this sunnier section.
I am looking forward to getting growing!!

Back
Top Bottom