Garden thread

Pics
Well... That's why I have 2 4'x2' shelves with 4'-4 bulb-T5 grow lights... Plus two other shelves with miscellaneous lights on them. :p I need the greenery in the winter and the motivation of the earlier harvest.
With how much basil I grow I end up getting a few nights of pesto pasta out of the trimmed tops before they ever even go in the ground. I really rely on those early rewards and motivation boosters.

Also, our spring is all but non existent.

I'm a new member to the group but my husband and are gardeners too. We started a winter sowing project using milk jugs. We have heard of others doing this and having great results so we thought that we'd give it a go. At this point, we've only planted a variety of wildflowers, cone flowers etc. for a hummingbird/butterfly patch that is one of our projects for this summer. As we get more jugs, we'll be sowing seeds for our vegetable garden. Has anyone tried winter sowing using this?method? Were you happy with the results?View attachment 2013444
Welcome to BYC and the thread!

I've used milk jugs, but more like a greenhouse. I cut the bottoms off and used the jugs to cover seeds in pots or the ground. I took the lids off during the day and capped them at night. They worked well.

we’ll need pictures when you get it going!
You got it!
20200104_144143.jpg

This gives a little idea of what we're working with in the front yard.. backyard is worse unfortunately.

I'm a new member to the group but my husband and are gardeners too. We started a winter sowing project using milk jugs. We have heard of others doing this and having great results so we thought that we'd give it a go. At this point, we've only planted a variety of wildflowers, cone flowers etc. for a hummingbird/butterfly patch that is one of our projects for this summer. As we get more jugs, we'll be sowing seeds for our vegetable garden. Has anyone tried winter sowing using this?method? Were you happy with the results?View attachment 2013444
Hi :welcome I'm very interested in winter sowing but it's tough as we don't have these sorts of milk jugs here. So I just started everything normally in seed starting trays and put them in my cold frame.. we will see what happens!
I know you can use other containers besides milk jugs for wintersowing, but we just don't get a lot of plastic and our wind is so strong it would just blow away!

Good morning all. Clucky I would like to see your set up. My DIL wants to grow fodder for her crew and she's looking for ideas.

All I did was water seeds this morning, and the grass in the frame. It's still dark outside so I'll take a tour on my break and see if anything new is happening out there.

Have a great day all!

I attempted to grow celery from seed last year and didn't have good luck with the seeds germinating well. I opted for some started plants and transplanted them but they didn't grow much or develop as I would have liked. I have thought about doing some Celery in containers this year but I'm still on the fence. For those who start from seed indoors, do you start in a smaller peat pot like you would other seeds or something larger with a longer term goal in mind? Heat mats or just grow lights? Thanks

I attempted to grow celery from seed last year and didn't have good luck with the seeds germinating well. I opted for some started plants and transplanted them but they didn't grow much or develop as I would have liked. I have thought about doing some Celery in containers this year but I'm still on the fence. For those who start from seed indoors, do you start in a smaller peat pot like you would other seeds or something larger with a longer term goal in mind? Heat mats or just grow lights? Thanks

I'm not the one to help you with this, sorry.

I have thought about doing some Celery in containers this year but I'm still on the fence. For those who start from seed indoors, do you start in a smaller peat pot like you would other seeds or something larger with a longer term goal in mind? Heat mats or just grow lights? Thanks

Well this is my first go at it, but I have 2 little seedlings already popping up in 2 pods (I use reuseable plastic seed trays filled with starter mix), so so far germination's not an issue. Of course I won't know how well the plants actually do until oh... 120 days from now!

I don't do heat mats, but I keep my grow stand in a warmer part of the house.

Back
Top Bottom