Garden year 2-need suggestions for beating cucumber beetles!!!!!

krowl

Songster
Feb 23, 2017
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Even though we are in the middle of winter, I am already starting to think about my set up for my garden (Year #2, and already planning for a different setup this year). Learned a lot last year, hoping to use what I learned to have a more successful garden this year. My Bell Peppers did awesome-definitely will be doing those again, however, my cucumbers were a DISASTER, those cucumber beetles really took over...I need suggestions on what to do so I can get ahead of these pests before they take out my plants again...What has worked for everyone in the past???

Where are you located? I haven't seen any beetles in my cucumbers, but I do have a large flock of free roaming chickens.

It's recommended to clean out all of the plant materials after the garden is done so the beetles have no where to hide and winter over. I have had a bit of a problem with asparagus beetles, so cucumber beetles sound similar in how one deals with them. I have also used a pyrethrin based bug dust on occasion if the situation gets out of control.

Last edited:
Where are you?:pop
I was previously short with my question to the o p but those beetles seem to be geographically located. As well as the freeze generally takes care of most of the pest and controls them early in the season before they can manifest again. This year in Florida we are having a record cold spill. More freezes than I can remember. We should be able to Garden for the first month or two without having an infestation of caterpillars Exc, ike we did last season only having one freeze. To the o p, it might be easier for the members to help you with your questions if you were to go to your user preferences and add a estimated origin of your whereabouts, to help other members aid you more easily.

Where are you located? I haven't seen any beetles in my cucumbers, but I do have a large flock of free roaming chickens.

It's recommended to clean out all of the plant materials after the garden is done so the beetles have no where to hide and winter over. I have had a bit of a problem with asparagus beetles, so cucumber beetles sound similar in how one deals with them. I have also used a pyrethrin based bug dust on occasion if the situation gets out of control.
:goodpost:

Maryland! We don't have chickens yet, but maybe thats exactly what I need to prevent this issue next year! I got rid of the dirt from last year! Going to start fresh this year!!

I'm in Maryland!!
I'm in Maryland and have never been able to grow a darn cucumber! (Well, perhaps a few 2 inchers before dying). I finally gave up a few years ago. I have plenty of chickens, but for some reason they have never gone after the bad bugs in my garden. Let me know if you find a good way of controlling them!

Back
Top Bottom