Yes I tried them years ago and thought they were tasteless. I've learned since to grow tomatoes on the dry side here, so it could have been they just had too much water. I use red plastic mulch and wall o water plant protectors and have good luck in growing tastier varieties. I love Territorial seed though, they sell things that do well in my climate.

I like to have at least two cherry tomatoes and two beef steaks. I like one large tomato slice on my BLT instead of several smaller ones that just slip around.
I like Early Girl. and Rutgers, too.
for canning I like the Amish Paste and Roma..
If I can tomaotes this year, I am considering using all kinds. but if I use anything other than the Amish and Roma, I am thinking I will scoop out the seeds of the rest..
.....jiminwisc.........

I like to have at least two cherry tomatoes and two beef steaks. I like one large tomato slice on my BLT instead of several smaller ones that just slip around.
I like Early Girl. and Rutgers, too.
for canning I like the Amish Paste and Roma..
If I can tomaotes this year, I am considering using all kinds. but if I use anything other than the Amish and Roma, I am thinking I will scoop out the seeds of the rest..
.....jiminwisc.........
Oh it’s one of the finest things in life when you get those tomatoes that cover the whole slice of bread!!! I always plant some Brandywines just for that. If I can find big enough plants they do really well here.

like one large tomato slice on my BLT instead of several smaller ones that just slip around.
So this brings up this predicament,, You will have to use this type of bread.
1620020783611.png

If you happen to use a different bread like a Sally Lunn, out of a Pullman Pan.
1620020894382.png

Then you will need different type of tomato,
1620021022564.png

and now to a more serious side.. If you intend to do canning, I suggest using one of these. I do have one, but no longer do canning. It removes skins and seeds effortlessly. around $50.
image_2021-05-03_005545.png

I have one of those hand crankers . I never thought of using it for tomatoes.
I do not skin my tomatoes. I cut the stem out and run them through a food processor. I do not care for stewed tomatoes. I just use a quart of the juice for a batch of chili. I don't like chunks of tomato in my chili , either.
that square tomato would be ideal.LOL
I wish we could get three dry days in a row. I would like to start dragging the garden. I do not plow. The garden is soft enough to just drag it a few times before planting. finally I rototill to smooth it out. Then my push corn planter works better..
.......jiminwisc.....

I have one of those hand crankers . I never thought of using it for tomatoes.
I do not skin my tomatoes.
Just wanted to pass this along, since the picture I posted shows doing fresh tomatoes.
When I did the caning way ago, I first cooked the tomatoes. Then I ran them thru the machine. The tomatoes were soft at that point, and crank handle required less horsepower (arm power :gig ) to turn.
The skins, and seeds came out the waste end very squeezed out. No waste:thumbsup

My cranker has holes in the tube, I use it for separating seeds from blackberries. the juice comes through the tiny holes and the seeds come out the end.
after I run my tomatoes through the food processor, I cook the juice and then put it into jars and process them in water.
......jiminwisc.....

Thanks, my birthday is not until the 28th but i did get a present today and it holds 10 eggs!View attachment 1207382
Even having bad soil can make raised beds necessary. I put some in my new garden here in Virginia this year. Still i am digging up the soil inside the beds and adding composted manure and sand to the clay based soil. I only plan to do that once. I was not able to spend much time on the garden because i was building chicken coops. This year will be different.
You might be interested in straw bale gardens. They could even grow on a raised platform.

If you would not want to build raises beds, You could do trench gardening, Just make beds or rows and amend just the area you intend to plant.
Today I called Hsu's garden center. A yard of garden blend loaded onto my truck would cost $42.oo. That's what they recommended for planting my bare root apple trees.
........jiminwisc......

Back
Top Bottom